Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winch purchase'Wire cable or Nylon line

Winch purchase'Wire cable or Synthetic line

Any problem with Synthetic line in cold weather? Buying a winch for my truck. Always have had wire lines in past. Have used synthetic line on my ATV winch and no problem. But I don't drive my ATV 100's of kms in November on the highway in snowy/sleety wet weather.
    I'd appreciate advice from some of you experienced vehicle winch users.

End use of winch: pull me out of mess I shouldn't have driven into. vehicle: Tacoma with canopy.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bearheart; 07-22-2021 at 10:49 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winch purchase'Wire cable or Nylon line

I was going to put synthetic line on my winch but the cost was ridiculous! K

Call me old school but I don't think you could ever beat wire. Had them on truck and ATV winches and never had a problem.
    The only nylon stuff I've ever used are those tug straps to yank someone else outta the ditch. Reliability and longevity, wires
    got my vote.. ��*♂️��

Synthetic is much lighter but you should keep a cover on your winch to keep it clean. It's also much safer, if it snaps it won't rip body parts off and you can just tie it back together. Easy and safe choice is synthetic line.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Synthetic is much lighter but you should keep a cover on your winch to keep it clean. It's also much safer, if it snaps it won't rip body parts off and you can just tie it back together. Easy and safe choice is synthetic line.
    The wire cable is cheaper and when you pull with it throw a blanket over the line this will help with whipping if it breaks.

Synthetic not nylon, may be more expensive but once you use it you'll never go back. Synthetic actually has a higher load rating than wire.
    MM

I bought a front hitch receiver for my hunting truck (first gen tundra) and a hitch cradle for my winch so i can keep it in the dry box in the box of the truck. Out of the weather, out of the eyes of thrives and I can move it to the front and back of my truck. Because sometimes when you get stuck...you don't want to go forward anymore, haha. I know this doesn't answer your nylon vs cable debate. But it would free up the driving the highways in November with snowy/sleety wet weather and deteriorating the winch line/clutch & electronics etc.

A friend of mine has a wood lot, lots of winching. Says he’ll never go back the cable. And DO NOT get the rope with the protective sheet covering, my friend had to cut it off after just a couple of uses.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

In my experience, when you actually need to winch it's hairy situations. Usually dragging over steep inclines and rocks etc. The last thing I would want to worry about is my fancy synthetic line getting cut up on every obstacle. Looks good in magazines though.....
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Google the video "Synthetic Line Snapback" and tell me if you want that on your winch. I'll stick with wire cable thanks.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"