Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s the smallest caliber/cartridge you’ve hunted big game with?

What’s the smallest caliber/cartridge you’ve hunted big game with?

My son drew a moose tag this fall, so he’ll be hunting with his 6mm creed and I just picked up 2 boxes of 100 grain partitions that I plan on putting behind some h4350. I’m not worried about wounding anything because I’ll be there as a backup, but I think he won’t have any problems if he makes a good shot. It got me thinking this might be a good idea for a topic as long as people are honest and nobody is too judgy about one guys version of ethics compared to another, so we’ll see how it goes.

As the title says. What’s your experience with smaller cartridges on big game and by big game I mean bear, moose, elk, caribou etc. If you know, what kind of bullet and cartridge were you using? Shot placement? Results?

I did run into a native fellow recently who claims he’s taken several moose throughout different times of the year with a 22lr, but he didn’t say how many got away or how many shots it took, or if they were calves, cows or bulls. Lol.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What’s the smallest caliber/cartridge you’ve hunted big game with?

I used 25-06 Nosler partition (115 grain) for several years. Did the job on deer - one shot, no drama.

I've cleanly taken moose with a 100 gr partition from a 243 in the past.

Used to carry a 243 while growing up. I believe 95 grain projectiles. Used to take many deer, bear, and carried on elk and moose hunts. Did not get to shoot at any elk or moose with it, but, like anything the shot placement is more the magic with a good bullet. If you know you have a good clean shot in, let the animal lay down and expire before running up to it too quickly. Had to learn this the hard way unfortunately. Amazing how a wounded animal will get a 2nd wind, and haul ass for a long time.

Mule deer and many Black-tailed deer . . . . .250-3000 Savage. 87g Speer.

6mm Creed, 95gr LRX and RL26. Very accurate and lethal on good size boar I shot this spring. One shot kill didn’t go 10 yards.

Don’t let anyone talk you or son out of 6mm Creed, with disciplined shot it’s golden. Such low recoil , perfect for youth hunters.

SB
    Last edited by Salmon Belly; 07-20-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Congrats on the moose draw and good luck on the hunt.

Perhaps it's just your writing style but you don't seem 100 % confident of your son making a good shot ? I have read dozens of threads about youth hunting cartridges and the emphasis is always on low recoil because we don't want to scare our kids away from hunting. The emphasis , it seems to me , should be a quick clean kill not a long drawn out tracking job or an animal in obvious distress...those things could actually turn off a kid from hunting.

By the way , I'm not saying the smaller cartridges can't work ( although they did invent larger cartridges for a reason ) .

Quote Originally Posted by chilko View Post
    Congrats on the moose draw and good luck on the hunt.

Perhaps it's just your writing style but you don't seem 100 % confident of your son making a good shot ? I have read dozens of threads about youth hunting cartridges and the emphasis is always on low recoil because we don't want to scare our kids away from hunting. The emphasis , it seems to me , should be a quick clean kill not a long drawn out tracking job or an animal in obvious distress...those things could actually turn off a kid from hunting.

By the way , I'm not saying the smaller cartridges can't work ( although they did invent larger cartridges for a reason ) .
    No, I’m very confident in his shooting abilities as long as he doesn’t get the old buck fever. He comes out to the range with me quite often and shoots out past 500metres with my 6.5 creedmoor. He definitely understands trajectory and seems to be quite a natural at shooting in general. He’s been shooting .22 and pellet guns since he was 5 or six, but this will be his first trip carrying a rifle after his own game.

I personally think a double lung shot or head with a 100 grain 6mm partition or Barnes ttsx will do just fine. As long as he waits for the right shot everything should go off without a hitch. So that means I have to do my job too and get it in close enough and broadside.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

plenty of people use a 223 for big game

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Belly View Post
    6mm Creed, 95gr LRX and RL26. Very accurate and lethal on good size boar I shot this spring. One shot kill didn’t go 10 yards.

Don’t let anyone talk you or son out of 6mm Creed, with disciplined shot it’s golden. Such low recoil , perfect for youth hunters.

SB
    We’re both loving this rifle. It’s a browning xbolt youth model, so it comes with a coupon for 50% off of a full size stock when he’s ready. My only complaint is it’s pretty loud, it has short barrel with a brake and a Tupperware stock. The stock seems to direct the noise right up your cheek bone for some reason. I’ll probably get him shooting without the brake when we’re doing load development.