Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What’s the smallest caliber/cartridge you’ve hunted big game with?

Unhappy head shots on big game

Quote Originally Posted by BRrooster View Post
    The Moose I harvested last year had a bullet embedded in his nose, that was all healed over from a previous wound . Someone shot him in the nose. Can't tell what caliber it was. Also will never know why he was shot in the nose, and how long ago it happened or any of the other circumstances. He was a mature bull , double tri-palm , 8x10. The shot messed up the interior of his nasal passages and there was shrapnel all the way to his eye socket. He might even have been blind in that eye.
    Just saying, maybe a larger caliber, might have had a different result.
    thank you for your comment.
    I am sure this has been hashed out ad nauseum ,but some one advocating or admitting taking a headshot at big game always makes me very sad. Headshots are for war, hunting is not war.

Re: head shots on big game

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    thank you for your comment.
    I am sure this has been hashed out ad nauseum ,but some one advocating or admitting taking a headshot at big game always makes me very sad. Headshots are for war, hunting is not war.
    Some of us are capable of a headshot and others aren’t. We should all stick to what we’re good at.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

ive shot deer and black bear in southern Oregon when i was a kid with a savage 340 222 with plain jane 50 gr bullets and never had a problem. I have two 222s now and would hunt deer and black bears but with a nosler partition. I mostly hunt with a 270 or 338 now.
    Larry

Re: What’s the smallest caliber/cartridge you’ve hunted big game with?

whitetail deer - 22-250 Rem with Hornady 53 gr HP bullets - They Worked Well with Lung shots ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Some of us are capable of a headshot and others aren’t. We should all stick to what we’re good at.

I average a head shot a season....

Nothing wrong with it..espeacially if i have a big gun and its a close deer or bear..

Lot better than blowing the front shoulders and backstraps off.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    I average a head shot a season....

Nothing wrong with it..espeacially if i have a big gun and its a close deer or bear..

Lot better than blowing the front shoulders and backstraps off.
    Honestly, I go for double lung whenever possible on big game, but if a headshot is what presents itself and I can’t go double lung, than it’s getting one in the pumpkin.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Mule deer with 6mm creedmoor. Using the eld-x, the bullet exploded on impact and made a mess of the internals, including the stomach. Saw a big black bear drop instantly from I believe it was a 90 grain gmx. Though that was a lucky shot through the spine. I’ve seen or heard of a couple bears walk away from perfect shots with 6.5 creedmoor.

conclusion. 6mm creedmoor will suffice for deer as long as you use a good bullet, but wouldn’t recommend it for anything bigger.

22-250... Only because I've never owned a centerfires rifle any smaller than that.

My dad's 22 Hornet though I never got anything with it.

He shot many deer on the Island with that gun.

223 and 22-250
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.