Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hunter looking for advice

New hunter looking for advice

Hey everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I'm located in 2-8 but I've got family in 2-5 and I'm willing to travel.

I've got some ideas but I'm open to learning and doing research.

1) I want to harvest some mule deer, and some birds (ducks, geese, and grouse)
    2) what gear would you recommend?

Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New hunter looking for advice

What gear do you have already?

Good boots, good outer layer, hunt buddy/iHunter GPS map, google earth for scouting, a good multi tool, binoculars, a good day pack, a rifle and a shot gun. I’m relatively new and those are the things that I use the most. It’s I used the word good a lot. Much better to get the best you can afford.

go on YouTube and learn how to identify good mule deer habitat using google earth, then mark a bunch of locations you think might be good on your phone app. Then for the most important part. Get out there and go check them out. Make notes and keep the ones you like, and dismiss the others that you don’t. Practise moving slow amd using your senses out in the bush. Do this ahead of the season if you can. Showing up to a new place for the first time and hoping to bag a deer is a long shot but doable. I have intentionally hunted as many new areas as possible early on instead of just one or two places. I have done this to gain experience in more environments amd build up areas that I like.

Welcome to HBC. I’ll guess by your user name you have or like the .30-30? That’s a perfect deer caliber. It’s my go to for 95% of days. Where about s are you in 2-8? It’s a big area.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

boots and binos are #1 and #2.
    then time, lots of time.
    expect to be skunked your first year or two.
    if you're successful early, go out the rest of the season and hike, instead of sitting on yer ass. you got lucky. then the next yr when you are skunked, you'll have an idea what's going on in nov.
    if you want it, go get it. don't sit around.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    Good boots, good outer layer, hunt buddy/iHunter GPS map, google earth for scouting, a good multi tool, binoculars, a good day pack, a rifle and a shot gun. I’m relatively new and those are the things that I use the most. It’s I used the word good a lot. Much better to get the best you can afford.

go on YouTube and learn how to identify good mule deer habitat using google earth, then mark a bunch of locations you think might be good on your phone app. Then for the most important part. Get out there and go check them out. Make notes and keep the ones you like, and dismiss the others that you don’t. Practise moving slow amd using your senses out in the bush. Do this ahead of the season if you can. Showing up to a new place for the first time and hoping to bag a deer is a long shot but doable. I have intentionally hunted as many new areas as possible early on instead of just one or two places. I have done this to gain experience in more environments amd build up areas that I like.
    All good advice...get yourself a compass and a map and learn how to use them as well, don't cheap out on binos and practice lots with your weapon of choice...

Thanks to everyone that posted advice. I appreciate it.

I have to buy some good boots, binoculars, a good rain jack and pants. Does anyone know the best spot to pick those up? I was looking up prices on cabelas Abbotsford.

E-scouting looks like a great tool. I grew up in sechelt and spent a bit of time in the bush
    Tons to learn still. I'm going for hikes with my dog on the weekend. Scouting out where I'd like to hunt this fall.

Anyone have experience hunting 2-8?

Lots of us hunt 2-8. It’s a big region. What are you thinking of hunting, and where?

Most of Cabelas stuff is average at best. Do some independent research on the brands you like from there. It’s better to buy boots that will last 10 years, than spend 2/3rds the amount and have them last 1/3 the time.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

If the Kodiak in your name is about Kodiak dip and you can get Kodiak dip, I'll give you all my secret spots if you give me Kodiak dip.

And don't overthink your gear. Binos, firearm, knife... you're set. You'll slowly figure out what YOU actually need.

For good rain gear go to a commercial fishing supply store. They have the best I have found.
    Good topography maps to plan your hikes. Most can be downloaded now. Know how to use your compass!!
    Some compasses are so sensitive the stuff in your pack can throw it off. Even the gun affects it.
    Take enough food and water. Granola bars are light.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"