Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-21 Whitetail: Need help

8-21 Whitetail: Need help

TLDR: I recently acquired 600 acres in region 8-21 with a mix of sage brush hills, creek bottom, and hay fields. There are some deer around, but nothing stays on the property for long. Any tips for getting the deer to come back or frequent the area more often?

I've lived in the BC interior my whole life and have had my eye on a piece of property for a while now, only recently did I decide to bite the bullet and make it mine. Last year I saw a few decent bucks on trail cams, but they never stayed in the area for more than a couple days. The property has three creeks (two from the mountains, and one in the valley bottom), a big hayfield with grass and alfalfa, and some really good looking deciduous forest along the creek in the bottom.

While i was cutting this year I saw several does so i know the deer are there, they just don't like to stay. Last season I saw 4 or 5 big whitetail bucks in my neighbors hayfield (which, to be honest looked like trash compared to the lush irrigated vegetation mine offered) but still they chose that over coming to mine which was less than a kilometer away.

Any idea why the deer are acting the way they are, or what I should do to keep some of them coming back to my property?

As an aside: I realize bating deer is frowned upon by a lot of people and don't really want to take that route, also I'm not a snob with having an advantage over other hunters. If I had a stable population that kept returning id gladly open it up to some people on here so they could enjoy it too. Also, if you want some tips on insane grouse hunting, or bear locations hit me up and ill let you in on some secret honey holes.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-21 Whitetail: Need help

What makes you think they are leaving?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I remember years ago hunting up in Fort St John on a large farming acreage. The farmer used to plant alfalfa or a deer feed mix in the fall and leave it over the winter. It definitely kept the deer around. I am not sure but I think it is legal.? I know that alfalfa draws in the deer late season even if it is sitting as bails in a field. Good luck and hope you figure something out.

@Boxhitch
    Trail cameras catch a buck once or twice along the heavily frequented trails/drinking spots and then they are gone. Makes me think the property is more of a corridor for travel even though it has lots of bedding, feed, and water.

Have you taken a look after a snowfall? Sounds like they should be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdpy1 View Post
    @Boxhitch
    Trail cameras catch a buck once or twice along the heavily frequented trails/drinking spots and then they are gone. Makes me think the property is more of a corridor for travel even though it has lots of bedding, feed, and water.
    Generally the mule deer use "trails " while white tail are more random with their trips back and forth . I don't know which place you bought there but I would have thought there would be alot more mulies than WT ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillhunting View Post
    Have you taken a look after a snowfall? Sounds like they should be in there.
    The area gets a lot of snow, almost 2' down by the creek and 4' up in the hills by last December so I'd think they move down twoards Lake Okanagan where forage is easier to get at. My strategy for this year is to find them early season and start looking at hunting a different region later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Generally the mule deer use "trails " while white tail are more random with their trips back and forth . I don't know which place you bought there but I would have thought there would be alot more mulies than WT ?
    I don't want to give away specific, but its a few klicks west of Lake Okanagan. There are some mule deer, but again they only seem to pass through the area on their migration down to the lake during the winter.

On the last day of opening bow season I filled my mule deer tag above Irish creek rd so it makes me think they stay at higher elevations when its hot out and slowly work their way down as the snow comes. That being said, by late season all the mule deer are on Reserve land so its off limits for me.

I guess my main question is when the deer are migrating for the winter, how can I best prepare my property to keep them there as long as possible before they move again? I don't really want to bait as I feel it takes away from the experience of the hunt and gives myself an unfair advantage over public land hunters.

Have you been there for a full year to see what their movements are year-round?
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 07-19-2021 at 06:56 PM.

They need cover, quality food source and water. Easy as that!
    Probably not the same sort of terrain but watch the Steve renellia episodes on YouTube where they purchase a property and improve it for critters. It is very informative and tells about plating different crops to produce at different times to keep the deer happy.