Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s the most you would pay per ounce to lighten your pack?

What’s the most you would pay per ounce to lighten your pack?

Along the same lines as the mountain rifle thread. What’s the most you’ve paid? Would pay? And what’s too much to lighten your pack? Maybe there’s some free tricks you guys have out there to cut weight like snipping your toothbrush in half or not packing a stove and eating cold mountain house lol

I have a mix-match of gear, some arcteryx, Sitka, Walmart long johns and my favourite lu lu lemon running shorts. I buy stuff that makes a big difference and wait until something suitable is on sale, but my hunting partner has a full first lite setup right down to his underwear. His clothes are definitely lighter than mine and everything compliments each other, he’s setup for every situation as he bought a system rather than pieces, but it’s expensive.

A couple of the bigger things have been tents. I had a 3 man msr elixir, than went to the older model 2 man hubba and now a Cimarron. I bought a nice sleeping bag a few years ago too, it was a mountain hardwear -9 down bag I got for half price around $400, probably cut 2 pounds out of my load.

I just about bought a new Sitka dew point during the last sale at great north, but backed out last minute when I realized I was paying $400 just to lose a pound out of my bag. I told myself I’d just pack a pound less booze if I was worried about it. Then my partner chimed in and said “if you buy that jacket, then you’ll be able to pack an extra pound of booze”.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What’s the most you would pay per ounce to lighten your pack?

I'm lightening a couple things this year because I need to.

Getting a used pack. Should save a pound or two easily off my old one.

But I definitely need a new rain jacket, so comparing options there. So far first light, kuiu and Sitka all have rain jackets that are within fractions of an ounce of each other.

But this lead me to looking at other gear. Such as sleeping bags. Running a thermarest haven at -8. It's untreated down and I've been lucky I haven't been wet. But even if I got to a 0 degree bag, I'd be adding 10-11 ounces.

And that's comparing kuiu, stone glacier, kifaru, Marmot, mountain hardware, western mountaineering and thermarest (I haven't converted kilograms to ounces like Taiga and Valandre yet)

But pay more to save a pound? If I need to replace something... I need it anyways. But if not, I'll just keep running what I got.

Iv spent a lot of money over the years trying different things to lighten my pack. Finally, I put 60lbs in one Kifaru, and 70 in the other. I couldn’t tell the difference between the two. That was the end of trying to cut ounces for me.

Bulk on the other hand, im always trying to cut down on.

I’m always looking to upgrade and when I do I’m looking at light weight options. If you get gear that works better then your old stuff and is lighter then it’s a win win. For me I sold my mystery ranch backpack and bought a seek outside pack. I prefer the way it carries a load and it a 2 pounds lighter so win win. I know for myself I should just lose 5 or 10 more pounds of my body and it will be a lot cheaper then buying a pillow that is 1 oz lighter then my current.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I know for myself I should just lose 5 or 10 more pounds of my body and it will be a lot cheaper then buying a pillow that is 1 oz lighter then my current.
    You carry a pillow??
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Iv spent a lot of money over the years trying different things to lighten my pack. Finally, I put 60lbs in one Kifaru, and 70 in the other. I couldn’t tell the difference between the two. That was the end of trying to cut ounces for me.

smart man... I always figured if 5-10 pounds is going to break me, then i deff shouldnt be backpack hunting cuz you’ll be facked once the meats on your back

bulk is the killer IMO

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post

Same boat, on cutting bulk. I’m more bought into the theory that if you take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves though.

My first trip into sheep mountains cost only fuel and mountain house meals. Everything else I already owned or borrowed. Walking in, if I remember correctly, packs were a pound or four over 80.

Now, if it isn’t raining, walking in clothes out I am at usually around 54-56 lbs. An average sheep hunt for 8 days now verses then is 20-ish lbs of gear different (food choices and techniques changed over time as well).
    I’ve done the math several times per trip as well, usually when the rain is pounding down on a $150 piece of silnylon held up with $200 carbon fiber hiking poles, and currently that 20lb weight savings is about $50/ounce.

Some years it runs as high as $110/ounce, but that allows the opportunities to add another 30km to the walk in, and the ability to add a moose or elk or both to the walk out and I’m carrying 0 lbs on the way in.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 07-18-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Change your diet, alter your lifestyle. I shaved 10 lbs off my load with this approach.

As far as gear weight goes it boils down to budget and personal choice. There is literally a lighter choice for every piece of gear in your kit. You need to find the right balance between budget and comfort. Lighter weight impacts both.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    You carry a pillow??
    Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    You need to find the right balance between budget and comfort. Lighter weight impacts both.
    That is exactly right, there is always a balance to be had, be it a financial budget, weight budget, time budget, and personal comfort tolerance.

If a trip isn’t taking the horses, I’m counting ounces. But that Sea to Summit pillow is going every single time because I sleep better and I can justify that 2.1 ounce pillow for the comfort it brings.

I do carry a pillow it’s a Nemo inflatable one not very heavy and if you have to lay in the tent for 24 hours waiting out a storm, pillow is nice to have for me anyways.