Thread: Motor restrictions

Motor restrictions

Hi guys. I can’t find any info in the freshwater regs, so looking for info on motor restrictions and how they work. My new boat will have a 50 hp outboard, as well as a transommounted 55 lb electric. Am I legal in an electric only lake with the 50 tilted up out of the water? Same question in 10 hp lakes? I could obviously disconnect fuel from the 50 too, but don’t know if this makes any difference. I do have a 9.9 I could mount for the 10 hp lakes, but I don’t really want to take a 50 on and off semi regularly. There are only a couple of lakes that I have fished in the past that are restricted, but I figure it’s worth knowing the laws so I can plan better.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Edit: I have found anecdotal info from BC people saying COs told them it’s fine if the big motor is out of the water, but would appreciate any links to the actual regulation. Contrary to what my wife thinks, I do NOT believe everything I read on the webz...
    Last edited by Redthies; 07-17-2021 at 08:13 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Motor restrictions

Yes ! You can have any size motor as a main motor ! BUT you can only USE up too the POSTED size ! You are find if you use the electric only !

Some Lakes like BIG BAR are speed restricted - NOIT HP restricted - you can use what ever size boat and motor size you just can't run it any faster the 10 KPH !

Take the 0 off the 50 then it’s only 5hp.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Perfect. That’s the way I’ve read things as well, but would love to know where the actual regulation on this is? I’ve always presumed it’s like the duck hunting thing... motor up, guns up

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Perfect. That’s the way I’ve read things as well, but would love to know where the actual regulation on this is? I’ve always presumed it’s like the duck hunting thing... motor up, guns up
    The regulation is the regulation. There is no ambiguity. Max 7.5kw/10 hp. Lots of guy fish big boats on hp restricted lakes and use the 9.9 kicker. The big motor can be in or out, just not used. That's it.

Page 4 of the regulations.
    Last edited by lovemywinchester; 07-17-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    There is no ambiguity.
    Actually, there is some ambiguity. The regs don’t state “the engine IN USE cannot exceed 10hp” or whatever the hell that is in kilowatts. If it said that, you would know it’s ok to have the bigger motor and just not use it.

I have a smaller boat that runs a 9.9 so I’ve never bothered to pay attention to this particular regulation. If I was going to a small lake, I took the small boat. Now having a midsized boat that bridges the gap between the little and big ones, it will bring that reg in to play. Thanks for the reply though. I do appreciate the info.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...g_synopsis.pdf

Look up your region, then your lake. Info to the right.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.