Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Spotters

Vortex Spotters

So I have a diamondback 20x60x80 spotter and have always wanted to upgrade to a Viper. I see one for sale currently albeit only a 65mm. I'm wanting to know if upgrading is worth the coin. At 58 the eyes are not what they once were and I refuse to use optics and glasses, so is it worth it to upgrade or not?

Thx David

Corrected fat fingers LOL
    Last edited by Steeleco; 07-15-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex Spotters

Can’t answer to the Viper, but the Razor HD is nice.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I wouldn't go to the viper. id just right right to the razor or find a used swaro or leica.

I can’t speak for the viper either, but I do have a razor and I’ve used a couple of different diamondbacks.

I think the diamondback is good for the money, but I personally find it hard to find specific things in the scope that I can spot with the binos or bare eye. it seems hard to landmark things with it or find something your partner is looking at and giving you directions. It seems like the field of view is smaller, but vortex claims it’s only 8 feet difference at 1000 yards.

I only bought a razor because it was a good deal that I couldn’t turn down. It’s definitely easier to spot things and landmark whatever you want. It’s no where near as good as a good Leupold or swaro. It is comforting knowing that it’s covered by warranty when you stuff it in the side of your pack, but I think a good part of that price you pay is for the warranty.

Im guessing that’s an older model scope you’re looking at? The newer mode has. 65mm objective. I’d like to see a Leupold sx-2, not sure if they’re selling them in Canada yet.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I've got the Viper 15-45x65. Clarity and light are good on the lower end of the magnification. I'd say the last 3rd of magnification is more or less useless for situations such as counting tines. If funds aren't an issue I would make the jump to the Razor.

Even a left wing BC NPD fan like me uses a 20-60 x 85 Razor.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Can’t answer to the Viper, but the Razor HD is nice.
    Yup me too, in 65 mm, it's great..

Thanks all, I'll wait a little longer then. The right deal will show up at some point, they always do!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I would have to disagree with the majority on this one. I actually surprised that there is negative responses about the Viper 65mm. I started out with the Diamondback 65mm. I found it left me wanting more. I upgraded to the Viper 65mm angled. I think it’s great. It is leaps and bounds better than the Diamondback. I use it a lot from the range to counting tines, and birding. This unit has yet to disappoint. I would say my only complaints would be is it’s a bit heavy for alpine hunting and the barrel focus ring is a little stiff. Beyond that I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 07-16-2021 at 01:05 PM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I would have to disagree with the majority on this one. I actually surprised that there is negative responses about the Viper 65mm. I started out with the Diamondback 65mm. I found it left me wanting more. I upgraded to the Viper 65mm angled. I think it’s great. It is leaps and bounds better than the Diamondback. I use it a lot from the range to counting tones, to birding. This unit has yet to disappoint. I won’t say my only complaints would be is it’s a bit heavy for alpine hunting and the barrel focus ring is a little stiff. Beyond that I don’t think you can go wrong for the money.
    have you looked through a razor yet? or a swaro or leica?