Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which accessory

Re: which accessory

Hmm Spot..
    GPS tells me where my truck broke down,,lol FORD..
    HOWEVER Spot allows me to get help to me..wheleven
    Srupp

Lighter is always in my pocket. I hunter app on phone. TP

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    first thing I put on around my neck in the morning and last thing I take off before bed is my silva ranger compass that I have owned for more than 30 years
    No way, I own one of these, too. Most people don't even know how to use those anymore ....

I made it to Chief Scout as a young teen....i'll never be without a compass when in the bush...it is sometimes fun to guess the direction home then check the compass to see if correct........I do have to admit that a source of fire would be higher than a compass though if you aren't in any deep bush….i'm still old school where I always tell where i'm going so my wife knows where I should be... I even print her a google map with coordinates on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    No way, I own one of these, too. Most people don't even know how to use those anymore ....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    first thing I put on around my neck in the morning and last thing I take off before bed is my silva ranger compass that I have owned for more than 30 years
    Compass too. Without a doubt.

I would say mindset, having the mentality of stable sound thinking and desicion making. But besides that 100% agree with Compass. My dad was a logger and taught me how to walk through the bush and keep looking at your back teack for landmarks and establish familiarities. I hate staring at screens when im in the bush. Even having spot or inreach as piece of mind would provoke my mind into taking more risks then I already do. I just tell my Mum where im hunting and try and keep in touch and stick to the game plan. I think a lot of people staring at gps’s lack the true directional instinct and route finding skills then one who uses and practices with a compass. And yes I have been lost more then once and have had to sleep a night in the woods. (Sprained my knee up in the bluffs, hobbled out the next morning at first light) Its all about mentality and staying calm and not panicking. A solid knife (no cheap chinese junk) bic lighter, fire rod and tp are always in the pockets or belt too.
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

I too have a compass , in my pack at least, on your person would be better i agree. Didnt think of it as an accessory though. And i know that my radios are battery powered, but, damn i hate relying on battery powered stuff. I can see that the type of hunting is a big player in most decisions, as it should be. Funny to see that no Bowhunters have said thier rangefinders yet. Some other things that i wouldnt say are accessories would be , Knife, fire starter, first aid kit, extra ammo, maybe even a quality multi tool.
    Interesting what new technology is needed to go hunting though. Gone are the days when you grab a handfull of shells and a knife and head out for the day.

Oh and an ol guy said to take two compasses cause sometime in your life you are going to disagree with what it says. Two against one might make the difference!
    Last edited by BRrooster; 07-15-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Hmm my thought process..a compass can't get you out even if it points the right way.,if your incompassitated..
    Same for GPS
    LIGHTER may help to keep you warm..untill..? If folks don't know your Ill. Sick injured it really doesn't matter what's # 2..3..4
    It's ironic I'm helping a new outdoorsman who is taking a 2 year outdoors course..and sort of get ready for outdoors travel safety equipment
    So I'm looking at what's in my day bag for emergency use..up to 3 days..
    Emergency top of the list in the bag..communications device...of course there are numerous must haves.
    Srupp

i dont consider firestarting tools accessories, they are necessities. i usually have 3 sets of this on my person.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Radios have been certainly handy.
    I like my GPS big time.
    My Badlands Bino Case was worth it!
    Same for the Monster Bag.
    Need a good "long lasting" pair of light weight elk boots however.???
    New GoreTex Pants and Jacket (like a 4 in 1 parka that Browning "use to" make)

But never forget my rifle and bullets!!
    Forgetting the tags is "ify"!!, but have a 90% chance the CO wont know (but i would still cut the tag asap)
    Honestly, would drive back for tags....bullets and rifle, well...no choice either.