Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who force fetches their labs?

Re: Who force fetches their labs?

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    I didn't say that FF does not work and I'm not putting it down,what I'm saying is that FF is not the only way to train a reliable retrieve and that most novice "trainers" don't have enough experience to do this.
    Personally,I would not FF a dog and our dogs retrieve fur and feathers reliably out to 300m and more.
    There is no reason to get your knickers in a knot.
    Labguy gave a good explanation without being defensive.

Rainer
    So you want come out and see the dogs this weekend or next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I would love to but I got training weekends every weekend until October.Preparing for HZP test.
    Thanks for the offer,though.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    I would love to but I got training weekends every weekend until October.Preparing for HZP test.
    Thanks for the offer,though.

Rainer

You train the every hour of the entire weekend? Only takes a couple to stop by and see what all the fuss is about. Then you can speak intelligently on threads like this because you can actually see with your own eyes. The trials are in Deroche this weekend.

Lorne
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

love a good dog thread!

signed, a guy who has a Black Lab and is happy with him bringing birds to the edge of the road and going back for another one. and follows my 8 year old daughter tail wagging everywhere she goes....

Sorry guys you could cut the tension with a stick!
    see what i did there? "Stick" lol....

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    love a good dog thread!

signed, a guy who has a Black Lab and is happy with him bringing birds to the edge of the road and going back for another one. and follows my 8 year old daughter tail wagging everywhere she goes....

Sorry guys you could cut the tension with a stick!
    see what i did there? "Stick" lol....
    Exactly. And I'm sure that would be perfectly fine with the OP's daughter. These Hunting Dog posts often go downhill damn near every time the field trialers feel the need to "help". Not much interest in posting here anymore...

Dog snobs. BAH!

i understand the love of dog, and the work it takes. as well as some people wanting to do way more with their dogs than i do. Trust me when i say i agree there is nothing like hunting behind a well trained dog, ive done it.
    but it really does seem like these dog threads get sooo bloody emotional. The guys involved are all "next level handlers" way more experienced than me. but it almost seems like "Forced Fetch" is now a troll comment in the dog world!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    i understand the love of dog, and the work it takes. as well as some people wanting to do way more with their dogs than i do. Trust me when i say i agree there is nothing like hunting behind a well trained dog, ive done it.
    but it really does seem like these dog threads get sooo bloody emotional. The guys involved are all "next level handlers" way more experienced than me. but it almost seems like "Forced Fetch" is now a troll comment in the dog world!
    If you really want to amp up the emotion just ask a lab owner if their dog is double vaxxed or is an anti? lol

I really like a good dog thread, as well, and love training bird dogs! What I have learned from training two different brits and a griff is that there is more than one way to skin a cat to get the desired result. In fact, I'm not sure you can train two dogs exactly the same way since dogs have different personalities. It also depends on what species you're training your dog to hunt and what breed of bird dog you have. You can't train labs and griffs the same way.

My brits were solely upland dogs (pheasants first and foremost, then grouse, and chukars,,,,,and of course there were lots of quail, too, but I rarely took shots on them just because I didn't want to kill a limits worth basically for one meal. I really thought I'd be training my griff for the same birds but because there's very little public land to hunt pheasants anymore that aren't busy and because I met a guy up at one of my favourite lakes who pretty much only hunts waterfowl we ended up hunting ducks and geese instead.

And because of that, I ended up training my griff more as a waterfowl hunter/retriever. I FF'd her, taught her handling drills, practiced multiple marks, and to do lengthy searches and drags on both land and water. Didn't do any of these things with my brits. Luckily I had just retired when I got my griff so I had lots of time to do this.

My griff was the first thing to get on my retirement bucket list, not only my first choice but probably the best. Getting my dog to where she is now has been my greatest joy of retirement so far,,,,,,so glad I put the extra time into her to help bring out her potential and natural ability.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Exactly. And I'm sure that would be perfectly fine with the OP's daughter. These Hunting Dog posts often go downhill damn near every time the field trialers feel the need to "help". Not much interest in posting here anymore...

Dog snobs. BAH!
    Maybe you should read the thread objectively. Its certainly not the "filed trialers" who are the snobs in here.

Are these dogs good to road hunt?

its hard to read a thread objectively when the Pro's are calling each other out. There are 4 guys here who are extremely dedicated to their dogs and what they do. With knowledge that far exceeds mine as well as who ever it is asking the question. But every time its a throw down. If people would just put down their thoughts plusses and minuses and not trash the other guy The OP could learn or at least form an educated idea.