Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who force fetches their labs?

Re: Who force fetches their labs?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    its hard to read a thread objectively when the Pro's are calling each other out. There are 4 guys here who are extremely dedicated to their dogs and what they do. With knowledge that far exceeds mine as well as who ever it is asking the question. But every time its a throw down. If people would just put down their thoughts plusses and minuses and not trash the other guy The OP could learn or at least form an educated idea.
    If you think this was bad just visit the Covid thread.

As with anything internet related it’s trying to sort out and decipher whose opinion and advice is useful, accurate and worthy……….and whose is not.

Anyway, I doubt Brent is ever going FF his daughters dog and I’m sure the dog will have a long and happy life being a pet, chasing sticks and playing with the kids……..which is probably the most valid reason of all to own a Retriever…..or any dog for that matter.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

As with anything internet related it’s trying to sort out and decipher whose opinion and advice is useful, accurate and worthy……….and whose is not.

Anyway, I doubt Brent is ever going FF his daughters dog and I’m sure the dog will have a long and happy life being a pet, chasing sticks and playing with the kids……..which is probably the most valid reason of all to own a Retriever…..or any dog for that matter.
    If I lived in Kelowna there would have been a pretty good chance that I would have since I know they have plans to hunt the dog, plus the dog would have benefitted in the other areas besides retrieving from the process. Right now the pup is only 6 months old, has a very high retrieve drive, and general obedience training is going fairly well according to my son in law so there's lots of time to make the decision further down the road.

I, as well as other dog trainers I know, all waited or finished up the FF (trained retrieve) process with their dogs until they had a year of hunting under their belts so there is lots of time to decide. We'll give it the "wait and see" approach for now.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    If I lived in Kelowna there would have been a pretty good chance that I would have since I know they have plans to hunt the dog, plus the dog would have benefitted in the other areas besides retrieving from the process. Right now the pup is only 6 months old, has a very high retrieve drive, and general obedience training is going fairly well according to my son in law so there's lots of time to make the decision further down the road.

I, as well as other dog trainers I know, all waited or finished up the FF (trained retrieve) process with their dogs until they had a year of hunting under their belts so there is lots of time to decide. We'll give it the "wait and see" approach for now.
    Ohhhh this is going to hurt and I know I’ll regret responding to this but ……………………….every “A” list pro retriever trainer in the world will advise to start formal training, including FF, at six months or as soon as the adult teeth are in and the dog is exhibiting a strong desire to retrieve. But whatever floats your boat. Remember, this is a lab we’re talking about.

Anyway, I’ll stop now because my life experience has taught me that it’s almost impossible to teach anything to a teacher………even for a good trainer…..LOL
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

That is True sir! there is zero point in that covid thread... its attack attack attack!
    Total waste of my time...

You are right about the internet as well. You really need to pick what you think is best.
    From my side tho i know you guys know and do so much with dogs. Yet with anything that is a passion you get to be passionate!
    Really though, i do learn alot from all of you. I was going to try to take Timber further but my then 4 year old daughter took all my time. Now Tim is 4 amd Emma is 8 and ya.. they are joined at the hip. Anyway!

Good day sir!

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Exactly. And I'm sure that would be perfectly fine with the OP's daughter. These Hunting Dog posts often go downhill damn near every time the field trialers feel the need to "help". Not much interest in posting here anymore...

Dog snobs. BAH!
    Seriously, someone asks for help and people who have vast amounts of experience and the street creds to go along with it chime in with good honest hard learned advice, and you say they make the thread go downhill. Oh and no it's not just retriever trainers that force fetch, we in the Spaniel world do as well. Because it works!
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 08-19-2021 at 01:05 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

@ Foxton

Nobody says that it doesn't work!! But it is not the only way to get a reliable retrieve.It doesn't matter if Labs, Spaniels or Versatiles,every retrieving breed does the same, that's the same reason everybody uses e-collars.Yes .it does work but for the umpteenst time it is not the only way.