Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: butchering a moose

Re: butchering a moose

This is a great thread, some of you guys are seasoned hunters and it shows. Really appreciate the input here.
    "stupid branch got in the way...."

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    in my experience once a grizz knows there is food there, he won't stop coming back

we defended our moose from a grizz a few years back, while celebrating we were caught away from the guns and had a bluff charge, never make that mistake again.....we had 3 of us and could get my lifted truck close to kill site and drag it to a better flat spot....headlights on, 2 fires, 2 people on moose, 1 person with loaded gun guarding, the bear circled us from sundown to 2 am when we finished, could hear him huffing and popping his jaw, beating on bushes and trees...was a fun night! left all my gear on the ground and came back next afternoon, bear was still on the hide, gutpile was pretty much gone by then

shot another moose in the same spot this past year, with lots of fresh bear sign we saw through the day, just 2 of us this time....we confirmed moose was down and left him for sun up

I have always said I want to get a pack alarm, I think it would be handy for dealing with a moose by yourself, possibly give yourself a couple extra seconds to be ready
    I can say the pack alarm is great, have not used it for moose but having it setup around a downed animal, or my camp when solo alpine camping or whatever it's nice to have that peace of mind..

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    We've all seen how scared the Covid vaccine has got you so I can't imagine what being out where the Grizzly's roam would do to you...
    Yeah right, I'm just shaking in my boots
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Not sure I would enjoy moose hunting solo...we always have one guy on watch while the other two are bent over dealing with the moose.

If you re not saving the hide, leave it on the quarters and do gutless, really fast. By yourself that is a huge job!
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I think a dog would help in giving you the alarm and maybe keeping the bear away from the meat for a little while .

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    I think a dog would help in giving you the alarm and maybe keeping the bear away from the meat for a little while .
    Depends. Sure, might alert you but then make the situation worse.

Like people, there are some I trust with my life and some that would bail to save their own skin.

Dogs are the same. My old dog Buckley accompanied me on allot of hunts for elk, deer, black and grizzly bears. He was a loyal companion, great nose, and enjoyed the bush. I could tell the difference when he was on the scent of a bear or deer. I was 100% confident he would fight to the death for me.

My current dog, not so sure. She would more than likely run to me (with the bear on her ass) bringing it right to me.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-15-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Done it quite a bit. Never had a problem. Gun is always leaning on the animal. get it quartered and hanging on a pole. Doesn't need to be high as the animals are going to go for the guts first. Obviously it will be multiple trips so the meat will be there when you are gone. I pee lots around where the meat it hanging. One thing I always do is leave my stinkiest, inner most layer with the meat. Be alert, and be safe. I am always more worried about hurting myself while packing out than at the meat site. And if it is possible, hang the meat where you can approach with a view for when you come back.

Man your question is literally my thoughts ever time I start to gut an animal.
    Srupp is bang on with his advise.
    take a few pics and get to work
    a safe and loaded gun, very close, not 15 feet away, ….very close.
    meat off and in game bags and away from the gut pile.
    get all the taking apart done on the first go so when you return for a 2nd or 3rd load, it’s load the pack and your boots in the ground out of there in minutes.
    watch kill site from a distance when you return.

Hey there. Can you explain the pack alarm and how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MBHunter View Post
    Hey there. Can you explain the pack alarm and how it works.
    it's a perimeter alarm system, run the trip line and setup your perimeter, if any animal/whatever else trips the line, 125db siren goes off

there are a few similar systems, but this is the most common it seems like:

https://packalarm.net/
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster