Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: butchering a moose

Re: butchering a moose

I do the gutless method and have done a few by myself.

Gun is loaded and is either leaning on the animal while I quarter or a tree right beside me. The gun follows me every where.

I also sing, yell and let go with the air horn every once and while.

It takes a little more time because I stop and look around a lot.

I have never had an issue, but when I did this one, a few times my hair stood up and I "felt" a presence. I was 4 k from the road and the closest cell service was 15 k away. My partner had to hike the 4 k back to the quads, then run 15k to call in the troops to get the beast out. He was gone 3 hours....3 hours that I sang and screamed and danced and moved my gun so many times that it wore down the grip! But wouldn't change it for anything.

If you do have to leave the animal, I always find a tall branch/stick/tree top and wrap a bunch of flagging on top and stick it through the ribs so you can see it well before you get back. Have had a bear and a wolverine hit the carcass in the past and the flagging saved a lot of problems.....

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

See #35 –went hunting alone –had my 303 loaded & ready close by.

#3- this huge one was shot a few years later in the same general area but there were 3 of us

The Germansen area always had grizzly bears & we had a few close encounters.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?152867-Moose-hunting-pics!/page4&highlight=germansen+moose
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Spent many years hunting in Grizz country. Hunted by horse and on foot. When I down an animal and prep it for packing. I always place a long stick 8 ft or so into the meat with flagging or a plastic bag on top. When I return for another load I can check to see if the pole is moving or down. You can observe this from a safe distance.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I have done a lot of solo hunting when I was younger, but not anymore, not in grizzly country anyway.
    We've all seen how scared the Covid vaccine has got you so I can't imagine what being out where the Grizzly's roam would do to you...

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    I heard human pee and camp fires doesn't keep bears away !
    in my experience once a grizz knows there is food there, he won't stop coming back

we defended our moose from a grizz a few years back, while celebrating we were caught away from the guns and had a bluff charge, never make that mistake again.....we had 3 of us and could get my lifted truck close to kill site and drag it to a better flat spot....headlights on, 2 fires, 2 people on moose, 1 person with loaded gun guarding, the bear circled us from sundown to 2 am when we finished, could hear him huffing and popping his jaw, beating on bushes and trees...was a fun night! left all my gear on the ground and came back next afternoon, bear was still on the hide, gutpile was pretty much gone by then

shot another moose in the same spot this past year, with lots of fresh bear sign we saw through the day, just 2 of us this time....we confirmed moose was down and left him for sun up

I have always said I want to get a pack alarm, I think it would be handy for dealing with a moose by yourself, possibly give yourself a couple extra seconds to be ready
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Anyone butchering a moose or any big animal by yourself in grizzly country , do you do that
    or do you avoid grizzly country when hunting by yourself ? that's the problem i have ,
    Can't really avoid grizzly's when hunting moose !

Happens all the time by Hunters which actually hunt off-road. I assume you need to pack the Moose out on your Back no Horses no ATV.
    Keep your Rifle loaded with Shell in the Chamber within feet of your worksite. Gut and pull Gutpile 10 ft. away. Take one Quarter off and onto the Packboard. Tie Rope around Moose Antlers and tie to a decent Tree so if Mr. Grizz shows up he cant drag Moose into thicker Bush. Cut 2 saplings 15 ft. long and peel off Bark. Stick one Sapling peeled section up vertically into Moose and Ground. Stick the other Sapling peeled section up into the Ground some 50 ft away. Leave your underwear on top of Moose. If possible Piss and poop within 50 feet of the Carcass.

When you come back to get the 2,3,4,5,6 load you should easily see from a good distance like 200 yards the peeled sections from both Saplings. If one is gone its likely Mr. Grizzly is on your prize and perhaps one or 2 more circling in the distance hoping to get in on the action.

Most of our Moose hunting is done in remote and prime Grizzly country. In over 40 years no Grizzly has ever hit our kills if Underwear or Socks where placed on Carcass within 15 hrs. before returning.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I was thinking of pooping on the moose , that should help !

Can't hurt. I'd suggest taking your tropy pic beforehand though...
    I was thinking of pooping on the moose , that should help !

Hmm few years ago on a fly in hunt out of Atlin..heand a LOT of shots at around 3 am..hmm sounds like trouble
    Couple years go by heard from the hunters who did the shooting.
    Grizz came in for the 3 Alaskan sized moose that were hanging up..grizzly took 10 of the 12 quarters..pulling them down off into the brush..back for the next quarter..the shooting did not deter the grizz..ruined 2 1/2 moose !
    Off Teslin had a huge Silvertip claim the gutpile..I did get to keep all the meat..only because we took it all on day 1
    Srupp

I've had a few grizzly problems but none has stolen my meat

Although once I was cutting up a nice blacktail deer in November and looked up and there was a pretty good sized blackbear eyeballing me from about 40 yards away. Grabbed my rifle and mentioned to him that I still had a bear tag.

Once he saw I was on to him he retreated but he didn't go far, always lurking about a bit. It was only a deer so doing gutless he was in my pack pretty quick and I left him the carcass but sure checked my backtrail for awhile. He was pretty ballsy.

Reminded me of the time PG66 and I were eating lunch by a cliff and when we went to leave saw fresh bear tracks in the snow- he had crept up behind us. We always wondered it had just been one of us if it had tried to put the jump on. He was pretty ballsy. We did follow up and he was a good sized 6 footer but not giant bear. So neither of us wanted to pull the trigger as it would have been a horrendous pack out for a bear
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!