Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my boat research?

Re: Help me with my boat research?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    It’s personal preference, but I’m not a fan of the windshield in the middle of a boat. It takes up valuable space behind cover. The otter jet hull design is different than a standard tunnel hull too and should be tested on choppy water to see how it challenges cavitation. Outboard jets can cavitate considerably if not setup properly cause of their small intake system. If you do lean towards this boat, make sure you run one to satisfy yourself.
    Windsor Motorsports in GP is a dealer for Firefish boats. Steve builds some real nice tunnel hull 15’-16’ tillers or center consoles that are wide, roomy and built to handle anything you throw at it. Again, price will be your limit. As far as boats stabilizing in price, it’s all dependent on the metal industry which is still crazy and no sign of letting off yet. If you’re handy, you could buy a hull, trim it out the way you like and power it. There are tons of options out there; get what you want/can afford, don’t just settle on what’s around you. If you need more info, Pm me.
    I'll swing into Windsor and have a chat with them to see if a Firefish is even doable in my price range.

Any thoughts on inboard vs outboard in terms of fuel consumption, reliability and ease of maintenance?
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

They all burn fuel, but an outboard will be somewhat easier. Not sure of how an outboard jet is on fuel though. Boat stands for “bring on another thousand” for a reason. Buy what will suit your needs and get out to enjoy it. If it sits in the garage cause it’s too expensive to use, then it’s not worth having.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    I'll swing into Windsor and have a chat with them to see if a Firefish is even doable in my price range.

Any thoughts on inboard vs outboard in terms of fuel consumption, reliability and ease of maintenance?
    OB jet costs more for the same power and is less efficient. Not sure about the prop side, although to OB leaves more space in a small boat either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    They all burn fuel, but an outboard will be somewhat easier. Not sure of how an outboard jet is on fuel though. Boat stands for “bring on another thousand” for a reason. Buy what will suit your needs and get out to enjoy it. If it sits in the garage cause it’s too expensive to use, then it’s not worth having.
    Tha makes sense. I fully expect to burn $100 - $150/day on fuel on a river and maybe half that on a lake. Totally acceptable for the experiences a boat will bring. We really want a boat to use and not just take ip space, hence the research beginning so early . We want to pick the best boat for long term use.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    OB jet costs more for the same power and is less efficient. Not sure about the prop side, although to OB leaves more space in a small boat either way.
    Good to know. The open space in the boat is really attractive especially since we're looking at boats 18ft and under.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

And an OB is easy to change/upgrade. Not cheap mind you.

1 Buy new.
    2 learn by example of people you talk to.
    3 buy bigger than you think you need. (moose, 6 friends, 45 gallon barrel of extra fuel.)
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    1 Buy new.
    2 learn by example of people you talk to.
    3 buy bigger than you think you need. (moose, 6 friends, 45 gallon barrel of extra fuel.)
    Any reason not to buy used if the price and condition are good?

I plan to get involved with a local river boat club, so hopefully I'll get to know people and pick their brains.

I'm limited in size by storage space, but I plan to buy as big as I can squeeze in. Dunno about 6 friends. I prefer to fish/hunt alone or with my wife only. LOL
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

No issues buying used, just do your homework and be thorough before purchase. Anyone trying to rush the sale, just walk away.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Try to find a 12-8 degree variable. If you can't find a variable go with a 12 degree. Being on a lake in an 8 degree with any wave action is teeth shattering. There are decent 12 degrees out there in your price range.

As others have mentioned, buy the boat that best suits your ‘main’ needs. Boats burn lotsa fuel and maintenance, insurance and gadgets aren’t cheap either. It is not a cheap hobby so expect to continue to spend at least $1k per year on maintenance/upgrades. I’m $900 on top of that for boat insurance and another $50 for the trailer annually.

Went on a boat camping trip with buddy recently. His 20’ Outlaw with a 240 SJ was burning 14 gallons/hr on the lake cruising at 23-24mph and I was burning 3.5 GPH with an 18’ kingfisher with 115hp outboard prop job at same speed. Both with similar loads but his boat is way heavier and packs more fuel. My point being, he’s burning 56litres/hr on a lake, that will increase significantly pushing upstream on a river. At $1.50/litre these days, your $100-$150/day in fuel on the river could be way out to lunch depending what you buy.

Just an FYI so there’s no surprises when your costs are potentially higher than expected

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Tha makes sense. I fully expect to burn $100 - $150/day on fuel on a river and maybe half that on a lake. Totally acceptable for the experiences a boat will bring. We really want a boat to use and not just take ip space, hence the research beginning so early . We want to pick the best boat for long term use.

Good to know. The open space in the boat is really attractive especially since we're looking at boats 18ft and under.