Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my boat research?

Re: Help me with my boat research?

Quote Originally Posted by thick View Post
    As others have mentioned, buy the boat that best suits your ‘main’ needs. Boats burn lotsa fuel and maintenance, insurance and gadgets aren’t cheap either. It is not a cheap hobby so expect to continue to spend at least $1k per year on maintenance/upgrades. I’m $900 on top of that for boat insurance and another $50 for the trailer annually.

Went on a boat camping trip with buddy recently. His 20’ Outlaw with a 240 SJ was burning 14 gallons/hr on the lake cruising at 23-24mph and I was burning 3.5 GPH with an 18’ kingfisher with 115hp outboard prop job at same speed. Both with similar loads but his boat is way heavier and packs more fuel. My point being, he’s burning 56litres/hr on a lake, that will increase significantly pushing upstream on a river. At $1.50/litre these days, your $100-$150/day in fuel on the river could be way out to lunch depending what you buy.

Just an FYI so there’s no surprises when your costs are potentially higher than expected
    Good points to keep in mind. I thought the sportjet was supposed to be better on fuel. I'm hoping a smaller lighter boat will burn less gas. I've seen posts from people running boats like the Explorer 162 and 172 with outboards say they can run all day on a tank of fuel. Other forums have guys reporting 6 to 10gph depending on size of boat and how fast they run. I certainly need to research it.

I'm fully ready for the insurance, maintenance and upkeep costs. My only real concern is the fuel. If $300 - $400 /day is typical I may have to reconsider a river boat. Again, this is where the research comes in. I'm looking forward to meeting folks at the local club to talk with them.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 07-21-2021 at 08:04 AM.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Good points to keep in mind. I thought the sportjet was supposed to be better on fuel. I'm hoping a smaller lighter boat will burn less gas. I've seen posts from people running boats like the Explorer 162 and 172 with outboards say they can run all day on a tank of fuel. Other forums have guys reporting 6 to 10gph depending on size of boat and how fast they run. I certainly need to research it.

I'm fully ready for the insurance, maintenance and upkeep costs. My only real concern is the fuel. If $300 - $400 /day is typical I may have to reconsider a river boat. Again, this is where the research comes in. I'm looking forward to meeting folks at the local club to talk with them.
    It’s all about how big and heavy the boat is. A 20’ Outlaw is heavy. I would say it needs a V-8, but that’s $$$. Hauling 3-4 guys and gear for days is heavy. Hauling my 5th wheel will run me $40-$50/hr on the highway. Nothing is cheap these days. A 13’-15’ sport jet center console with lots of stringers and not much else is my river boat dream. A generic 17’ lake boat with an OB at the top end of the scale power wise is the solution for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    It’s all about how big and heavy the boat is. A 20’ Outlaw is heavy. I would say it needs a V-8, but that’s $$$. Hauling 3-4 guys and gear for days is heavy. Hauling my 5th wheel will run me $40-$50/hr on the highway. Nothing is cheap these days. A 13’-15’ sport jet center console with lots of stringers and not much else is my river boat dream. A generic 17’ lake boat with an OB at the top end of the scale power wise is the solution for most people.
    For sure. Gotta pay to play, especially these days. I think staying in the 17 - 18ft length will be a good size for me. I'll rarely have 3 people in the boat, probably never actually have more than that. Usually just 2, me and my wife or me and a fishing buddy. As for cargo, mainly fishing gear or lightweight camping gear for a couple days. When it comes to using the boat for hunting, I don't moose hunt but a deer isn't out of the question.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Outboards tend to sip gas while inboards swallow it up.
    With the price of gas, that is a "big" consideration.
    At least when it comes to saltwater fishing.
    I think the newer jet propelled ones are way more efficient, and lose less power these days as compared to early on,
    when comparing prop vs jet.

For sure. Gotta pay to play, especially these days. I think staying in the 17 - 18ft length will be a good size for me. I'll rarely have 3 people in the boat, probably never actually have more than that. Usually just 2, me and my wife or me and a fishing buddy. As for cargo, mainly fishing gear or lightweight camping gear for a couple days. When it comes to using the boat for hunting, I don't moose hunt but a deer isn't out of the question.
    Sounds like you will be able to find a lot of workable options.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Sounds like you will be able to find a lot of workable options.
    I sure hope so! I think finding something in my price range is going to be the biggest challenge. Going to have to watch the used market for sure. I'm half considering contacting a few builders and seeing what a custom boat would run me as well, since I don't really need anything fancy like livewells, storage hatches etc.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Save you money. Invest in Goats.

I sure hope so! I think finding something in my price range is going to be the biggest challenge. Going to have to watch the used market for sure. I'm half considering contacting a few builders and seeing what a custom boat would run me as well, since I don't really need anything fancy like livewells, storage hatches etc.
    I looked into having Explorer build me another WT166 pretty much like the one I posted earlier in the thread with the exception of a slightly taller windshield, additional stringers, aluminum bow fuel tank full canvas and full Teflon. With a Yammy 115/80 jet on a trailer it would be around $55,000 out the door all said and done.

Check out “Mean Chicken” for more ideas/info.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I looked into having Explorer build me another WT166 pretty much like the one I posted earlier in the thread with the exception of a slightly taller windshield, additional stringers, aluminum bow fuel tank full canvas and full Teflon. With a Yammy 115/80 jet on a trailer it would be around $55,000 out the door all said and done.
    Cool, that's a good ballpark to know. I think used will be the most likely route I'll go with my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Check out “Mean Chicken” for more ideas/info.
    Will do, thanks!
    "Good" - Jocko Willink