Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me with my boat research?

Re: Help me with my boat research?

I'm alone all of the time so I went small. Way easier to launch on your own on a windy day.

Works fine on the lakes and on the Fraser River.

I haven't tried fly fishing from it yet. Going to go to Nicomen Slough and pull out the long rod............ probably get snagged on everything!

Geologist . If you don’t mind what model is that Lund ? Length etc.
    Thanks!
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by geologist View Post
    I'm alone all of the time so I went small. Way easier to launch on your own on a windy day.

I haven't tried fly fishing from it yet. Going to go to Nicomen Slough and pull out the long rod............ probably get snagged on everything!

Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

It's a 2020 Lund SSV 14'. Rated to 35 HP but I got a good deal on the 25 from Alberni Marine (it was a boat/motor/trailer package).

Those are nice boats and for awhile I really considered the 16ft version. The interior layout isn't ideal though and the boat isn't really designed for running the types of rivers we have up north. I did use a similar boat on the Fraser for a few years though. If all I needed was a deep river and lake boat, a SSV would be on my shortlist though!
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

I'm very cowardly as I'm always alone so I take NO CHANCES on the Fraser.

I'm very cowardly as I'm always alone so I take NO CHANCES on the Fraser.
    I hear you. It's a big river with lots of hazards and very unforgiving. We used to run it in a 13ft aluminum with a 9.9hp Merc. I don't recommend it unless you're very familiar with the river and the capabilities of your boat. We usually launched at Barrowtown, headed out of the Vedder and turned upstream towards Grassey Island bar. Sometimes we'd launch at Island 22 and head up towards the mouth of the Harrison and Peg Leg bar.

The rivers up here are even less forgiving, hence why I want something with more size and power especially since I'll be taking my wife and eventually a kid with me.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    I hear you. It's a big river with lots of hazards and very unforgiving. We used to run it in a 13ft aluminum with a 9.9hp Merc. I don't recommend it unless you're very familiar with the river and the capabilities of your boat. We usually launched at Barrowtown, headed out of the Vedder and turned upstream towards Grassey Island bar. Sometimes we'd launch at Island 22 and head up towards the mouth of the Harrison and Peg Leg bar.

The rivers up here are even less forgiving, hence why I want something with more size and power especially since I'll be taking my wife and eventually a kid with me.
    With the 25 and just me this 14' rig is good on the Fraser but I keep my head on a swivel and look for the big floatie things. I'm going to go this Thursday and flyfish cutthroat at Nicomen Slough with the boat so that should be pretty mellow.

I upgraded my VHF radio to an ICOM M94D DSC with AIS so I have lots of warning when the commercial tugs are coming my way.

Last edited by geologist; 07-27-2021 at 10:44 PM.