Thread: Ft Nelson Questions

Ft Nelson Questions

Considering doing the early season moose and elk hunt along the Nelson. I'd put into the Nelson just south of town and paddle/float down river to the bridge that crosses the highway north of town. Logistics are a bit difficult with getting back to the truck. Last time I did this we hitched back to the truck, drove all the way back to the bridge to collect the canoe etc. This time I think I'd drop the gear at the put in site then drive up and drop the truck at the bridge and hitch hike back to the starting point so would be able to pack up and head out faster.

I have a 15 foot square stern but since there might be two of us thinking it would be better if we had two canoes or small inflatable. Anyone local know if I could rent a freighter canoe or small rigid hull inflatable?

Any thoughts??
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ft Nelson Questions

What's the distance in kms or miles to travel that much of the river ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    What's the distance in kms or miles to travel that much of the river ? RJ
    About 110 miles. It is an easy paddle/float. I think it took three days of easy going last time, which was back around 1990. This time thinking I'll take the week, then depending on success would head directly to elk camp in the EK for archery season.

Hermit,

my little duck hunting canoe/kayak hybrid is 11"6" weighs in at around 44#. Wouldn't be hard to get this on your truck with a canoe.

You can't carry allot in it (1 man, his backpacking gear, rifle ). But it would get your partner and his pack out of the canoe and free up 300# for your moose.

Anyhow, it's yours to use if you think it may work, you have my #.

"The seat was removed in the pic below"

Last edited by Ron.C; 07-13-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    About 110 miles. It is an easy paddle/float. I think it took three days of easy going last time, which was back around 1990. This time thinking I'll take the week, then depending on success would head directly to elk camp in the EK for archery season.
    Elk camp in EK for archery season...I am planning a similar trip. Good luck and who knows....maybe we will run into each other out there

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Hermit,

my little duck hunting canoe/kayak hybrid is 11"6" weighs in at around 44#. Wouldn't be hard to get this on your truck with a canoe.

You can't carry allot in it (1 man, his backpacking gear, rifle ). But it would get your partner and his pack out of the canoe and free up 300# for your moose.

Anyhow, it's yours to use if you think it may work, you have my #.

"The seat was removed in the pic below"

Thanks Ron. Will talk later.

any concerns hitch hiking due to the pandemic? I'm sure you'll be wearing your cloth face mask with duckies on it lol

A 15 ft. canoe and 2 guys with camping gear mmm.There will be little room for a moose.
    I have hunted from an 18 ft. canoe on day trips for moose many times and a moose will fill the canoe.
    Using a jon boat up near Ft. Nelson I killed a moose and hanging in the butcher shop ready to process it weighed 660 lbs.The boat was full to say the least.
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    A 15 ft. canoe and 2 guys with camping gear mmm.There will be little room for a moose.
    I have hunted from an 18 ft. canoe on day trips for moose many times and a moose will fill the canoe.
    Using a jon boat up near Ft. Nelson I killed a moose and hanging in the butcher shop ready to process it weighed 660 lbs.The boat was full to say the least.
    Have fun!

Yes I have one and was looking to possibly rent a second but a friend will lend a 17 footer as the second one. Two guys two canoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor84 View Post
    any concerns hitch hiking due to the pandemic? I'm sure you'll be wearing your cloth face mask with duckies on it lol
    Nope not concerned in the least, have had two jabs, with ZERO side effects. (Pfizer and Moderna) I expect that if I contract Covid now it should be relatively mild, even though I am in a high risk category. More worried about giving it to people that have made the foolish decision not to be vaccinated. Would hate to infect someone and have them get really sick, possibly need hospitalization and a ventilator or in the worst case die. Then again I understand Darwinism.