Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds of ammo for hunting?

Re: How many rounds of ammo for hunting?

A box and a half usually.

2 mags of 4 each with me, extra mag and @ 10 in the truck.
    Probably have 100 rounds overall but Son In Law and I both shoot 30-06 and I share a few with him.
    We've had a long tradition in our Family that Son and Son In Law get a box of whatever they are shooting in their Xmas stockings.

while in the bush, usually 12.

4 in the rifle, another 4 on the buttstock( depending where I'm hunting). And I have 4 that stay in my survival kit.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-12-2021 at 08:54 PM.

A guy in Peace River Ab came across a pack of wolves eating 2 deer on a hillside across from him. There was 15 wolves. Since then I have always had at least 15 rounds on my person for the rifle I carried. Minimum 25 rounds if carrying a shotgun.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

9 on the stock holder, 1 in each pants pocket and the rest back at camp. I usually bring 40 rnds for each pea shooter I take. If it’s my Tikka, 2 full mags, 1 bullet in each pocket. The 444 gets 5 in the mag tube, and 1 in each pocket! But I always bring 40 rnds! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

2 full mags, 1 in the rifle and the other in my pack or pocket if I carry the xbolt.
    if i take the no1, one in the chamber, a couple in my pocket, and 5 in a sleeve in my pack.
    I almost always have a box or 2 in the truck as well

10 in an ammo wallet on my belt plus whatever the rifle holds (3 or 5), so total of 13 to 15.

If I have my...
    .22, then it's 2 full mags and at least one box of 50.
    .30-30, enough to fill the tube, at few on the buttstock, and a full box of 20.
    .308, 2 full mags, and a full box of 20.
    12 gauge, full tube and an ammo belt with a mix of slugs and 00 Buckshot.

I have an extra box of 20 hunting rounds, some birdshot, and a .22 brick in the truck and quad.

I don't do much hike in hunting (overnight +) anymore, but when I did, I always carried another extra 5 rounds (in a ziplock bag) of whatever caliber I was packing. Don't remember exactly why I decided on 5 rounds, but it just became a habit. 3 for signaling, 1 to shoot my partner in the leg so I could outrun the bear, and 1 for me if that didn't work out maybe??? (just kidding of course!)

I usually have about 60 of each load for each rifle and at least 100 rounds of 12 gauge in my ammo cabinet. Always shoot TTSX or TSX.

I like to have a dozen perfect arrows each for my compound and stick bows plus a bunch of practice arrows.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I usually just have 7.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.