Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rounds of ammo for hunting?

Re: How many rounds of ammo for hunting?

10-20 depending on species and type of hunt. Extra in truck or at camp if out for multiple days.

Since .30-30 is my primary deer caliber, and most Federal cartridge
    s for that caliber come in two 10 round plastic sleeves, I load the 7 rounds into the carbine, put the extra 3 from the one sleeve in pockets and bino pouch, and the other 10 sleeve goes in top pocket of my pack. I’m over 50 now, and the extra weight is good for my calorie burning regimen.

When I’m on a multi day trip, I carry plenty of extra. If it’s a backpack hunt, one extra box will go to base camp. If in my camper, then I’ll have multiple calibers along, with multiple boxes for each. Better to have and not need, than need and not have!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Being that I'm superstitious I

1) hunt with a new rifle every year and

2) always carry 7 rounds in both front pockets

At least a box.
    Might need to re-zero after a fall.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

my two main rifles are 30-06...in my survival kit I have 10 shells at all times...gives me 3 chances to signal distress + 1 spare.. they are in a styrofoam holder shortened and held together with a bit of tape to prevent clinks and rattles. I keep 5 shells in my rifle or in my front pocket when unloaded (hinged floor plate ). I have another 5 in the fingers of a mini glove in my other front pocket as spares (if I have clothes on I should be carrying 10 ). I also keep another 10 secure in my day bag....I usually take 3 boxes with me hunting - a box of 150' gr, 165 gr and a box of 180's...rifles are mostly useless without ammo..heheheh

i always carry 2 full boxes,,,(30,,,,,,,,i carry 10 on my body,,(including magazine),,,,,i like to have extra incase something happens,,,,,if i need to test my point of impact,,,,and once in a blue moon ill come accross another hunter or hunters,,,,that didnt bring enough,,,,so ill hand off a few to them if they need to check zero,,,,or lost some on a hike or something,,,,providing they shoot same caliber
    Aim small,,miss small

6 in rifle ( 5 in bottom 1 in chamber or pocket) 10 on belt, extra box (20) in truck or camp. 30-06 drop floor plate.

Ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt. I carry 25 with me in case of emergency and about 100 in the truck. Can always use it at the range later. I have hunted with a person that thought 3 was enough and spent a lot of time looking for his wounded deer. I have learned to be more selective in who I hunt with since then.

i have three or four for the rifle and another 3 or 4 in my pocket. maybe another 6 in the truck

I usually have around 9 rounds on me between in the rifle and in my pack for a day hunt. On a multi day hunt away from home I'll have a spare rifle w/ 20 rounds ammo for it in addition to my main rifle w/ 9 rounds ammo

Going into season I have a couple dozen loads ready for each rifle
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004