Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish List !

Wish List !

So I would like to harvest most of the big game species B.C. has to offer . So far I have moose and 1 Mulie Buck under my belt . Given LEH draws etc. I wonder how realistic I’m being ? I’m 65 now , reasonably good health except for the bloody bunion . Let me know your thoughts on this ! Will it cost me a fortune to achieve this ? Tell me your story !
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 07-13-2021 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Corrected text
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wish List !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    So I would like to of the big game species B.C. has to offer . So far I have moose and 1 Mulie Buck under my belt . Given LEH draws etc. I wonder how realistic I’m being ? I’m 65 now , reasonably good health except for the bloody bunion . Let me know your thoughts on this ! Will it cost me a fortune to achieve this ? Tell me your story !
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake
    AL, I think you can do it but it will cost, as to get one of each you will (because of LEH for certain species) most likely need to hire a guide outfitter and operate under his license for a number of them. If you go through a reputable guide outfitter you may be able to get the entire scope as in a package deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Are you after the full 18 list? or the shorter 1elk/1 moose/etc list?
    Lofty goals are what keep us young
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    So I would like to of the big game species B.C. has to offer .
    I’m thinking there are a couple of words missing here, but like the others, presume you mean you would like to take one of each species.

If you are retired, or otherwise able to devote as much time to the quest as it needs, you have a good chance. Pick a species for each season and focus solely on that species for that season. If you decide “this year it’s X”, then spend your offseason scouting for, and learning about X. If you get one, next year reset for “Y”, and so on. As mentioned, if you are going for all the sub-species, unless you have LEH horseshoes up there, you may need to buy hunts.

I find that my biggest issue is not focusing in on one hunt. I’m also not likely to start doing that any time soon, so I will likely continue to not be as successful as I could be. But, I also love seeing new places, and just being “out there”. I have a short list of “target animals”, since I mainly hunt to fill the freezer. Mainly I’m after deer, and I do want an antelope at some point, but luckily I have a friend who is a very experienced guide/outfitter in Colorado who has offered to set up a hunt for me on antelope.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Don’t stress about being realistic or your end quest, pick a species and go hunting and have fun doing so, it’s entirely possible to knock 2 or 3 species in one season, focus in on one at a time and go from there.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

All depends what shape you are in physically, mentally and financially but at 65 you may want to give the physically more demanding Game like Goat and Sheep priority.

Good Luck

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Redthies Thanks for pointing out my typo mistake it is corrected ,I think .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

If thats the case, then at 65 you might want to focus on sheep. If your pockets are deep go with an outfitter for those as that will likely shorten up the time commitment by not having to work through the learning curve on how to hunt them. It’ll also put you in prime country with minimal effort.

Speaking from experience, at your age you need to focus on sheep and goats!

I'm a bucket list guy, so I understand your goals. For example, top of my list is to visit every continent...including Antarctica. When it comes to hunting, I've had the same goal of harvesting a new species every season. In my 3 years, I've been fortunate to harvest: blacktail deer, black bear, turkey, moose (group hunt, I didn't shoot so not sure it counts), duck, geese, grouse. This year I am targeting an elk. LEH plays a big factor and I'm only 44 years old, so I still have time for goats & sheep. I say you go for it, focus on a species and do everything you can to harvest it. Goats & sheep will definitely be the most physically demanding and would be hard without an LEH, so depending on budget an outfitter may be the way to go. Bison is pretty much LEH only, so that is another tough one without some luck or money. Anyways, I wish you luck on your quest!! The fun is in the journey