Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds of ammo for hunting?

Re: How many rounds of ammo for hunting?

For hunting with my 7mm: 3 in the mag with 1 in the chamber, 2 in each pants pocket, 2 in each coat pocket, 8 on my pack belt which gives me 20 on my person. 1 box in the truck, 1 box in camp. 60 rounds total.

At home there's a few hundred rounds loaded up for the 7mm alone. I shoot 300 - 400 rounds per year with my hunting rifle.

Since I take a shotgun everywhere in the bush I have a box in the truck that contains: 20 birdshot, 10 00 buckshot, 10 Federal Deep Penetrator slugs and 10 comet flares.

I have a few thousand rounds stocked up for all my calibers combined. Buy it cheap, stack it deep.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 07-13-2021 at 05:29 PM.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Without getting into shotgun rounds for birds and road hunting...

- 30-06 150gr

- I have enough rounds for several hunting seasons. On average, I use less than 10 per season between checking the scope and taking game. I would only shoot more if I had to re-sight.

- I try to keep the magazine full (4 rounds) and I have an ammo pouch in my backpack which can have anywhere from 1 to 20 depending on when I last replenished and how many I decided to put in.

- No extras in the truck unless for whatever reason I decided to leave my pack behind.

What's your ammo load for hunting? Depending on what rifle I'm packing which depends on what ammo I have on hand

How many rounds do you have for the hunting season? Between 20 and 100

How many do you carry on your person? whatever the rifle fits (usually 3) plus 9ish or so in my bino harness

Do you have some extra in a truck or saddlebag? usually whatever is left of the current box.

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    i always carry 2 full boxes,,,(30,,,,,,,,i carry 10 on my body,,(including magazine),,,,,i like to have extra incase something happens,,,,,if i need to test my point of impact,,,,and once in a blue moon ill come accross another hunter or hunters,,,,that didnt bring enough,,,,so ill hand off a few to them if they need to check zero,,,,or lost some on a hike or something,,,,providing they shoot same caliber
    Since i reload and have a whole whack of dies , i have a full factory plastic ammo sleeve of several different types of ammo in camp for the "have not enoughs" . Myself; day hunt....several in the pack, 4 in my pocket in a neoprene holder and a rifle full if walking plus a box in the truck.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

When I was younger I always carried an extra pocket full of ammo. But, I have learned I that I always carry it - and never shoot it.

Now, with a high powered rifle I just carry what's in the mag. 4 rounds or so. If I miss that many times I'll be headed back to the truck in shame anyway. Extra ammo wouldn't make a difference.

Birding - at least 10 rounds on me. It really depends on the kind of hunting. But, in general I need more for more misses.

Banging around with a 22. Just a few in my pocket.

I usually have 50-100 rounds loaded for each of my hunting rifles at any given time.

On a day hunt I will have the magazine contents (3-5 rounds) and a spare magazine or a ammo wallet with about 10 rounds for the hinged floorplate rifles.

The truck will usually have 50 or so rounds of ammo for every firearm I might use during the hunt.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

lucky seven on the stock of the rifle ,and then a sleeve of 10 in my pack,,
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

If I’m hunting with the short mag, its two mags full for 8 rounds, 2 on the stock holder for 10 to walk around with, and anytime i`m more then a few hours from home i take that and have 2 full boxes in my truck… usually have a 20 ga for grouse, so add another box for that, 22 is another beast generally if i take one with me, i have 500 rounds in the truck and grab a handful if I’m taking it for a walk

On my day trips I carry 5 cartridges with me.

at home I have about 50 cartridges give or take of what I shoot for hunting ammo for my shotgun. I have about 20 rounds for my centerfire rifles and the compnents necessary to make much more if necessary. Lastly, lots of pellets on hand to plink with.
    Last edited by brian; 07-14-2021 at 09:00 AM.

1. That’s how I roll. ��