Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHich training collar do you run?

WHich training collar do you run?

In a market for a training collar (for a pointer - upland hunting use). I am primarily looking for the recall functionality - do I really need a GPS? Which models are you running? All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: WHich training collar do you run?

I've been using a Dogtra 2500 B&T when out in the field. It has continuous and nick functions for stimulation and a beeper function that you can hear from several hundred yards away depending on the terrain. This is NOT like a tone function that a lot of collars have that only the dog hears.

The beep function on the 2500 can be set so that it will beep every 8 seconds when the dog is on point to let you know where the dog is if it's on point in heavier cover. You can also use the beep function to locate your dog at any time by pushing the locator button. I've trained my dog to return to me if I use the locator button three times in succession, just like I do with three tweets on a whistle.

These units work well for training and reinforcing commands, as well.

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

I have a Dogtra 200c which has been a fantastic training aid. It’s well built, simple to use, good water resistance and holds charge well.

My one criticism is the range is nothing like the 800 metres advertised. I have an EP that likes to run so I really need something with range. I’ve tested a couple of times in the forest but with clear line of sight and it won’t go past about 120 metres which is when I need it the most.

If your dog runs wide like mine then you should look at a gps collar. I also use a Garmin tracking collar but with hindsight I would have bought a tracking / e collar combo.

I use a sport dog, can’t remember model have had it 8 years. My favourite function is the vibrate. I trained my lab to come on vibrate. So we have silent recall, no verbal command necessary.
    Beer so much more than a breakfast drink.

Quote Originally Posted by chinooker View Post
    I use a sport dog, can’t remember model have had it 8 years. My favourite function is the vibrate. I trained my lab to come on vibrate. So we have silent recall, no verbal command necessary.
    Recall is where the tone buttons shines. Only the dog hears it so it's nice and quiet out there. Three hits of the button for my dog and she comes back,,,,, unless she happened to be on a rock solid point. Not sure she's come back in that instance. I'd probably have to flush the bird.

And of course if she doesn't have a clue where I am when I'm hitting the tone button then I'd have to give her my location with 3 tweets of the whistle or my voice,,,,,either works.

I've had Dogtra and liked it. Sport dog was ok - but I had a super cheap model. I love my Garmin. Batteries last forever. Never had any problem with it.

Never actually had a chance to see/test these devices, so forgive a potentially stupid question: Do "trackers" such as the Garmin Astra also have a recall function?

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Never actually had a chance to see/test these devices, so forgive a potentially stupid question: Do "trackers" such as the Garmin Astra also have a recall function?
    Have the Garmin Alpha 200i, replaced my Alpha 100, both have tone.
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

Quote Originally Posted by zaconb View Post
    Have the Garmin Alpha 200i, replaced my Alpha 100, both have tone.
    Do the alpha's work in Canada? I was looking at the alpha 100 or the alpha 10 but it says you cant use them in Canada.
    Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Funeral Of Hearts View Post
    Do the alpha's work in Canada? I was looking at the alpha 100 or the alpha 10 but it says you cant use them in Canada.
    Works just fine. That’s legal jumbo because IC didn’t approve their use due to the frequancies the alpha use are on the emergency vhf band in Canada.