Thread: Spatsizi moose - waders?

Spatsizi moose - waders?

So counting down the days till our Spatsizi hunt. Will likely be targeting caribou and moose. Flying in and out of cold fish lake.
    Obviously counting the oz both from a plane cargo perspective as well as the fact we’re planning to hike a lot (also have a sheep tag so may decide to get crazy)
    For moose the thought is to stay lower down and try and pack out an animal walking it along the river back to cold fish lake via pack raft.

is this a doable option? Are the creeks deep enough? Can you walk close enough to the banks to just tow it along or is this going to be a bush bash? Should we pack proper waders and another set of wading boots? Rather not have the weight.

thoughts???

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spatsizi moose - waders?

I just bought a pair of the cabelas waders for our 1st fly in trip this year

Stupid question. I assume you have limited entry draws for sheep,moose and caribou? Since it’s all LEH draw in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I think you will be hunting moose in the alpine therei have never been there but thats my impression? Not swamps? I know the lake has trees but I assume the moose will be above treeline?

What dates are you flying in? We just booked for the 16th of September but I’m hearing a lot of traffic headed in there at the same time.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Flying in the end of august for 13 days. And yes we have draws for all three species.
    I should be back just before you head in Brew so remind me and I’ll give you some more up to date Intel once we’re back

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I think you will be hunting moose in the alpine therei have never been there but thats my impression? Not swamps? I know the lake has trees but I assume the moose will be above treeline?
    I don’t think the area is that swampy but the hope is to try and get a moose as low as possible and then move it back to camp via the waterways. We have the pack raft and waders just don’t know if this is a reasonable plan and if it’s worth the weight to fly/pack it in.

I would take hip waiters for around lake, don't think you will be able to raft game out on river from what I remember river is fast and steep.

This may or may not affect your plans but is definitely something to be aware of. Also check out the BC wildfire interactive map. 6,000+ ha fire 20 km from Coldfish lake.
    Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Provincial Park - BC Parks
    Last edited by Brno22F; 07-14-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    Semper in excretum altum