Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: downrigger fishing

Re: downrigger fishing

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    I don’t know if a downrigger would pull a 40 pounder up? Guess it may but once they see the boat and run may break the rigger?
    I don't have tons of experience doing it but I was on a boat that pulled 11 springs in an hour and a half. One was a 35lber and another was 42lber, the rest were 15lbers and smaller. The 35# fish could take line off the rigger and the 42# took 5 to 7 runs and lifted the 15lb ball to the surface for multiple minutes. Everything held. One other note though is that a bungee is used to attach the fishing line to the cable so it gives it some shock absorbtion.

They also use commercial rigging cable, versus the sport fishing cable.
    Last edited by Greg; 07-11-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighorn View Post
    Since we cant fish springs i am going to troll for halibut. Is it legal to fish with just a clip 20 feet of line and a big spoon and no rod.It would be nice for fishing the bottom in deep water i cant find it in the regs
    Seems like a pretty lazy way to try and get a fine

Quote Originally Posted by Greg;[URL="tel:2267027"
    2267027[/URL]]I don't have tons of experience doing it but I was on a boat that pulled 11 springs in an hour and a half. One was a 35lber and another was 42lber, the rest were 15lbers and smaller. The 35# fish could take line off the rigger and the 42# took 5 to 7 runs and lifted the 15lb ball to the surface for multiple minutes. Everything held. One other note though is that a bungee is used to attach the fishing line to the cable so it gives it some shock absorbtion.

But why wouldn’t they just use a rod? Never heard of such a way to bring up fish, to me it’s unsportsmanlike big time but that’s just me I guess?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I don't have tons of experience doing it but I was on a boat that pulled 11 springs in an hour and a half. One was a 35lber and another was 42lber, the rest were 15lbers and smaller. The 35# fish could take line off the rigger and the 42# took 5 to 7 runs and lifted the 15lb ball to the surface for multiple minutes. Everything held. One other note though is that a bungee is used to attach the fishing line to the cable so it gives it some shock absorbtion.

This wouldn't be a guide boat perchance?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I will chirp in on this, only because my father (RIP) used to do this in Rupert many many years ago. 1 line, 40 lb ball manual gurdie, he did have a groundfish licence however he targeted Salmon, quite successful i might add. Always had a rod out and wire cutters at the back of the boat.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Unless you are commercial fishing or FN, this purposed method is completely illegal.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

We used to do this 40 years ago, called it meat line fishing. Before electrics were legal, we used to upgrade the old scotty with a bigger handle and arm, use green dacron, 10 lbs ball and run three hali clips off the line; at the ball with a short 6' leader, up 10' with an 8' leader and up 15' and a 10' leader and run spoons. When a fish hit, real the downrigger up and gaf the fish.

If you are chasing hali, troll with the DR and bottom bounce, kicking the boat in and out of gear. Fish big herring in a tandem rig and drag it 25-30' behind the ball and 5' above the ball. Hali will check out the ball bouncing and grab the bait. We do it all the time.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Penn makes some decent rod and reel combos for a really decent price especially if you are only fishing is 200-300 ft of water that
    can handle Hali.

Who cares what the haida did/do? Multiple hook sets on a line are illegal. Full stop.
    It's Mom not Mum
    It's Fries not Chips
    It's Soccer not Football
    It's School not Shooting Range

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Poutine View Post
    Who cares what the haida did/do? Multiple hook sets on a line are illegal. Full stop.
    Can't find it in the regs