Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Canoe.

Hunting Canoe.

I picked up a fiberglass 16 ft square stern canoe about 10 years ago with a soft transom(wood rot) for 100 buck and a 3hp yamaha 2stroke outboard about the same time(wouldn't idle) for free.

Both have sat patiently waiting for a little tender loving care year after year...finally got around to looking at them, epoxied new plywood into the stern and cleaned the carb on the yamaha.

Yamaha runs excellent in a drum of water and transom is good and solid now.

Question is, what kind of performance can one expect from this combo...reading the tag on the canoe says max hp is 3 and weight capacity is 1095lbs

Thinking I should make a rack to carry the canoe on top of my 1775 extreme duty for getting into swampy area off the main rivers.

Any thoughts or advise.

thx

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Canoe.

Bring a friend to sit in the front. If you don't have friends, bring some bricks. LOL.

I raised my motor up, it didn't need to be down that low. Don't turn sharp.

Hope to try it out sometimes next week...couple of little lakes in the area that hold good trout populations. Don't know how productive this heat will be for fishing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I raised my motor up, it didn't need to be down that low. Don't turn sharp.
    How low was the prop...on this one the hub on the prop pretty much sits right at the same level as the bottom of the hull

Had a frontier 16’ that was cut to a square stern. So a-bought 15.5’. Put a 6hp on it quite often, made a handle extension to sit in the middle when traveling. A buddy put a 15hp on his 17’ Grumman several times. Load balance is always key in any boat, motor or not. It’s so funny to see someone who thinks he's some kind of 17th century voyager paddling along sitting in the back of a empty canoe the front pointing up at some ridiculous angle. Anybody unfamiliar with a canoe should read ( Path of The Paddle.) I have 50+ years in them only flipped once because the newbie getting in didn’t fallow my instructions and thought he new better.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I have a 17.5 Clipper Tripper man that thing is a freighter ! Was thinking but still undecided about selling and possibly buying a Clipper Mackenzie with square stearn and put an outboard on it .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Your canoeing skills are much better than mine, MRP. I have Clipper Mackenzie ??. It's a 18' freighter with stern cut off, so a 15'6" . Their design left the stern low, the owner of Clipper mentioned that when I bought it.. The prop is still in water. I'm using a 4.5hp blue band Merc. It's grossly over powered. I don't think with two hunters on board, a canoe should be able to plane. And that single goes thump thump .

I've flipped it twice, once going up a river we picked a bad channel and caught the prop and just starting out, a poorly idling motor had me gunning it a little during a turn. Flipping wasn't a serious thing. We had 5mm neoprene chest waders with a belt at the top so we didn't have to worry about them filling, And soft well fitting life jackets . Basically a dry suit . I had a lanyard on the "Canoe Rifle" . Everything had a lanyard in fact.I let the motor dry out and it was good to go again.

Before the days of jet boats, 22' Grummun with a 20hp were used as river boats. I never rode in one ,but I knew a couple of guys who had them.

A totally different approach, I saw a hunter who had a Sport Pal on a roof rack for pot hole lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Load balance is always key in any boat, motor or not. (especially canoes) It’s so funny to see someone who thinks he's some kind of 17th century voyager paddling along sitting in the back of a empty canoe the front pointing up at some ridiculous angle. Anybody unfamiliar with a canoe should read ( Path of The Paddle.) .
    Best advice ever MRP.

Also here is a link to a Youtube video Path of the Paddle series with Bill Mason.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ENF6IaNFQ

https://youtu.be/YqvSOtgg6no
    Last edited by Brno22F; 07-09-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Semper in excretum altum

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Your canoeing skills are much better than mine, MRP. I have Clipper Mackenzie ??. It's a 18' freighter with stern cut off, so a 15'6" . Their design left the stern low, the owner of Clipper mentioned that when I bought it.. The prop is still in water. I'm using a 4.5hp blue band Merc. It's grossly over powered. I don't think with two hunters on board, a canoe should be able to plane. And that single goes thump thump .

I've flipped it twice, once going up a river we picked a bad channel and caught the prop and just starting out, a poorly idling motor had me gunning it a little during a turn. Flipping wasn't a serious thing. We had 5mm neoprene chest waders with a belt at the top so we didn't have to worry about them filling, And soft well fitting life jackets . Basically a dry suit . I had a lanyard on the "Canoe Rifle" . Everything had a lanyard in fact.I let the motor dry out and it was good to go again.

Before the days of jet boats, 22' Grummun with a 20hp were used as river boats. I never rode in one ,but I knew a couple of guys who had them.

A totally different approach, I saw a hunter who had a Sport Pal on a roof rack for pot hole lakes.
    Maybe not better I just got lucky several times.
    No two hunters with all their gear should not plane on top of the water in a canoe but it sure is fun.
    Out of the four canoes two of mine are sport pals one square Stern and a 13 ft double ender.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.