Thread: Female Hunters first bear with crossbow!

Female Hunters first bear with crossbow!

As most of you are aware I love bear hunting. Manitoba makes it easy to bear hunter, so it's just a natural fit for hardcore bowhunters. This past spring I got an email from a potential client. They sent me a ton of emails in quick succession. I noticed that the bottom had Chinese lettering, so I thought I should just talk to this person on the phone.It was a female voice on the other end. Yes, the population of female hunters is growing, which is good because I have 3 daughters. Anyways I assumed she (Qian) was asking about the hunt for her father or boyfriend. Well, I got that assumption wrong and just made an ass out of me! Qian told me how she is a student at one of the local Winnipeg universities and wanted to try to hunt. She had started fishing a year ago and really enjoyed it, so her friends (non-hunters) suggested she try hunting. I asked her how she found my information, she said through my YouTube channel.
    The problem was Qian didn't have a weapon to use and only had time for a 1-day hunt. Luckily I had just received a new cross-bow for friends and family, so it would work out perfectly. We arranged a day for the hunt, and the plan was to get her to practice before walking in. Cross-bows are extremely easy to shoot, so I had no worries that she wouldn't be proficient. Before the hunt, she watched my tutorial on how to shoot bears, and I did encourage her to watch other videos as well.
    We met and drove out to the spot. I set up a target with a tripod as a rest for the cross-bow. Her first shot was not good, I started to have second thoughts. After a few adjustments to the tripod, Qian was able to hit the center every time.
    As we walked in we spooked a bear, we never saw it just heard it. At this bait a few days earlier I noticed a sow in there with 3 toaster-sized cubs. I suspected that it could be the sow. About an hour into the sit a sow with a unique face walked in, she was off-limits. She came to investigate but took off shortly after like she was shot from a canon.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Female Hunters first bear with crossbow!

A couple of hours went by with nothing. I will note that Qian was so excited and thought the pepper spray, thermacell and water bottle placed on the ground just looked so cool. I think it's safe to say she was digging her first bear hunt.I caught movement to my left and told Qian it was a boar and to get ready. It was a young boar probably 3 years old, but a good bear for a 1-day hunt. Well, this bugger would not stay still especially for a brand new hunter. Multiple times I though Qian was had her shot only for the bear to move at the last moment and me frantically telling her not to squeeze the trigger.
    Finally, it gave her that moment in time we all dream about. She made the perfect "Shiddle" shot. Side note: definition of "Shiddle" - "between the should and the middle" in my opinion gives most room for error if you are off left or right.
    She basically pinned her bear to the barrel, and it had to push itself off of the bolt to run away. What an experience for both of us! It is quite amazing that Qian was able to learn how to shoot a cross-bow then go shoot her first bear on her first day all within 4 hours!

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Congratulations to Huntress and Guide, nice Bear you harvested with an excellent Shot.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit about the regulations guiding Hunters in Manitoba, Regulations about Baiting Bears and Regulations regarding removal of Bear Meat, Intestines and Hide.

Nice Video too, Cheers to both of you !

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I can do that for sure. As for the guiding regulations. Any Canadian can hunt in Manitoba without a guide for deer, bear and moose. A person cannot guide without a guide license, so I have had that for over a decade now. Baiting is allowed in all areas of Manitoba. Manitoba for the most part is very flat with thick bush. Baiting is the best way to be successful out here. Guys will try without but usually fail, our topography and lack of forestry just don't allow for spot and stalk. Unfortunately Manitoba does not require the meat of a bear to be utilized, but we take the meat from every bear I shoot or guide. It's just too delicious to leave in the bush to rot.

Wow great job and nice bear congrats!