Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Bull Moose tag 7-16 A Aug Sep

Re: Early Bull Moose tag 7-16 A Aug Sep

If you’re able to change your plans you may want want to postpone your hunt till closer to the end of September, you may be able to catch some early rut action. Getting and keeping a moose cool in August can be a challenge. I used to apply in 7-23, and have gotten moose there as early as August 17th. That particular one was shot at daybreak and hanging in a commercial cooler just after nine am. Good thing, cause the temps made it into the mid twenties that day. I haven’t hunted out that way in a long time, so I’m not much help. Tacheeda lake is another nice camping spot, but pretty busy during the summer. I’ve seen a bunch of moose while fishing the small lake over the years, and a couple (including a cow with brand new still wet trying to stand up calf. Was cool, but we took off as soon as we realized what was going on) off the little lake that you have to drag your boat over a beaver dam to get into. Lots of small Kokanee in little tacheeda if you want to have a fish dinner. There’s moose around, if the pipeline guys are still going the main road will be busy, but look around and find some spots and you should be able to pull a bull out.
    I wouldn’t be overly concerned about bears. There’s plenty in the area but if you take the usual precautions you should be fine. Although I always keep a firearm handy just in case(I consider it one of the usual precautions).
    Congratulations on your draw, have a great hunt and camping trip in our little piece of the province.

Thanks for all the information may postpone a week or two due to the wildfires. I purchased the zone maps for my hunt buddy app. I also heard back from Back Road Map Book new book is coming out but may not be released until later this year. Super excited about the hunt. I don’t have a radio in my truck to communicate with traffic.

We use the cheap Baefongs, Get about 2 miles range in that area. I would not go down that canyon without a radio or waiting for traffic to follow. Its a smal price to pay for safety and they are usefull lots of other times. Have a good hunt.