Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Prop vs Jet

Re: Prop vs Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    That’s a great claim, wonder what’s left of that bottom end now.
    Not much if he tried to go where I go in my Solar 380 with a 25/20 Merc outboard jet.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    There are two different kinds of tunnel hulls and one supports the use of an outboard jet and the other a outboard prop motor. The jet model has a tunnel only 4” or so high, whereas the prop tunnel hull is a lot deeper and the motor is put on a Jack plate. The motor is raised until there is cavitation which if designed right is about the time the skeg is even with the bottom of the boat hull.
    Firefish builds a radius tunnel to concentrate water to both jet and outboard, but water cavitation around the outboard leg creates heating problems (when raised too high) where as the jet has an orifice fed by the impeller for cooling.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Crap. Meant to put this link on here but posted it to another thread. A guy shouldn’t do anything before first coffee in the morning.

Here’s a link to Kudu’s thread on tunnel hull prop boats.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...el#post1525141

Well, it’s all moot anyway, as my 50 prop is in a crate at the dealer, and my hull is scheduled for production now. I don’t have the build date yet, but at least it’s on the schedule. I’m keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that I’ll see it by mid October. I guess I’ll start collecting nav lights, bilge pump etc now since there is light at the end of the tunnel now. I just hope it’s not an oncoming train!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Crap. Meant to put this link on here but posted it to another thread. A guy shouldn’t do anything before first coffee in the morning.

Here’s a link to Kudu’s thread on tunnel hull prop boats.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...el#post1525141
    Thanks for the link Fuzzy! I see Kudu hasn’t been around in a loooong time. Too bad I’d love to see his boat if he still has it. And I agree, 2” is a bit of a wild claim for that boat. I’ll be happy to run in 12”...

I have an aluminum boat builder friend who might get his brain picked about adding a prop tunnel to this boat some day. I did chat with the tech who will be hanging my motor (he is one of us hunter type dudes) and he assures me if I mount with the cav plate an inch or so above hull bottom it won’t effect things regarding cooling at all. There is 4” of height adjustment in the engine bracket, so I’ll have him hang it normally, but in the highest holes so I can raise it up if need be.

You would have no issue running in 12” of water with a proper tunnel hull built for a prop. They work quite well and are a great option if you are in weedy conditions and not worried about running super skinny water.

It’s getting close... Boat is scheduled to load on a truck for the trip north in the next week or two.

What boat did you buy? I looked back but didn’t see it.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

1754 Grizzly. Tiller Merc 50 with 4 blade prop and heated grip.

It should tear along pretty quick with a 50hp on it. I like the mv hulls as they ride decent even in chop and handle/corner well. My 1448mv with a 20hp rides nice and works well as my fly fishing boat. Is there a spot under the front platform for a fuel tank? I prefer my tank forward when I’m running by myself. Nice looking boat; I’m sure you’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    Socrates.