Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop vs Jet

Re: Prop vs Jet

Nice. What did you end up getting.

Yes interested in what you purchased for a boat and motor ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Concerning the Mud Buddy motors I see that some are powered by Briggs and Stratton motors , I thought B&S went out of business ? Or are they back again ? What about parts availability ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Is both an option? I'm thinking of getting a prop for my 80 factory jet...would be awesome for ocean and lake adventures...not supposed to take that long to swap out..kinda like a stihl combi?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Is both an option? I'm thinking of getting a prop for my 80 factory jet...would be awesome for ocean and lake adventures...not supposed to take that long to swap out..kinda like a stihl combi?
    Swapping the pump for a leg doesn’t take long. Setting up the shifter to work properly takes a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Swapping the pump for a leg doesn’t take long. Setting up the shifter to work properly takes a bit of time.
    And I bet the height difference would be an issue. If you could get your motor where both worked with the power head at the same height that would be awesome.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Nice. What did you end up getting.
    Boat is a Tracker Grizzly 1754 and Merc 50 with electric start, power tilt/trim and heated tiller handle for the winter duck hunting. I’m doing the bare Jon instead of the side console as I want all the cockpit space for the 3 dogs. Going to keep it simple to start. Nav lights, bilge pump, couple of seats on the rear bench and rod holders. I used to build boats for Campion when I was a young guy (16.5’ and 21’ fishing boats), so I know what I want and how to do it. I have a custom high clearance trailer I built for my current 14’ Tracker so I will just move the winch post and fit it to the new boat.

I looked at Lowe, Lund and G3, but none of those brands are available (Lund is not even offering any Jons for 2022 and have removed their whole Jon section from their dealer order page), and if you COULD get one, the similar size to mine runs around $12,000 for the bare hull. My boat cost $6600. The construction is nearly identical, angles are better on the Tracker, there is texture in the powder coat and Tracker has a lifetime structural warranty. The Tracker has great lockable storage too.

I’m guessing it will hit 40 mph with a 50 hp on it too. Way more than I need, but the 40 and 50 use the same block (so does the 60), and it was only about $900 more so I figured I’d future proof it for some heavy load potential.

I should add that I was given a 17’ center console bay boat that needed a bunch of maintenance for free. I fixed it up and then we found the 80 hp motor was basically flat lining. My Merc dealer client took a look and said they could possibly resurrect it for a couple of grand, but there was no real chance that it would ever truly be reliable. That’s not what I wanted, and the boat was not my first choice by a long shot. I put the thing on CL with its issues disclosed and had a pack of guys on it fairly quickly. I sold it for $190 less than the 1754 hull cost, so I’m basically getting a free hull and buying a motor. The long wait may kill me...

I had an 1860 tiller with a 50/35 Tohatsu jet. Boat was 660#, motor 196#. 2 guys was good, stainless impeller and new wear ring saved a lot of fuel. Planing around 30. It needed a tunnel and planning pods and thicker bottom (was 0.100”). The power was barely enough though. O/b quickly get expensive and heavy for what they provide power wise. A 90/70 would have fit my boat perfectly, but $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Have to ask why would you swap to a prop? Fuel? or? not being sarcastic but am wondering as everything that I know of high speed commercially is using jets.