Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Prop vs Jet

Re: Prop vs Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    It should tear along pretty quick with a 50hp on it. I like the mv hulls as they ride decent even in chop and handle/corner well. My 1448mv with a 20hp rides nice and works well as my fly fishing boat. Is there a spot under the front platform for a fuel tank? I prefer my tank forward when I’m running by myself. Nice looking boat; I’m sure you’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
    I have a 1436 flat bottom with 9.9 for the smaller lakes. The new one will be for bigger lakes, the Fraser and maybe dropping a few crab traps by Wreck Beach or?

There is a storage locker up front. I’m for sure putting both batteries up there, along with a 4000 lb ATV winch for dragging it off the beach with the anchor if the tide gets me, etc etc. I was thinking about fuel up there too, but am waiting to see how big my bilge area is. Photos below show where I was going to run cables/wires and at one point I was thinking of fabricating a step with bats and fuel in it at the front, but I’m going to see how much I can get in the locker to keep the floor area as big and clean as possible. I think I’ll be able to fit a 9 gallon tank in the back on the side opposite where I will sit. I’ve got a stack of parts in my shop waiting to get installed. I built a trailer for it too. Going to wait to mount the winch tower/bow roller until the boat is sitting on the bunks. Very excited to get it here and rig it!

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Looks great and will be a fun project. Get some load guides on the trailer for ease of loading. Once you have them you’ll never want to be without them. I built complete new aluminum fenders for my 1448 trailer that have the load guide built into the inside with uhmw on them. Boat slides into the correct position every time, then just tie down and go.
    Here’s an interesting wiring video;
    https://youtu.be/EFBfz6Xsrbo

These guys are in Mission.
    http://www.jseequipment.com/accessories.html
    Last edited by Ride Red; 10-18-2021 at 06:54 AM.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Looks great and will be a fun project. Get some load guides on the trailer for ease of loading. Once you have them you’ll never want to be without them. I built complete new aluminum fenders for my 1448 trailer that have the load guide built into the inside with uhmw on them. Boat slides into the correct position every time, then just tie down and go.
    Here’s an interesting wiring video;
    https://youtu.be/EFBfz6Xsrbo

These guys are in Mission.
    http://www.jseequipment.com/accessories.html
    I had load guides on my 1436 trailer, and will also add them to this one once the hull is on it. I will mount my lights up high on them as well to keep them dry like I did on the other trailer I built. I just have the brackets tacked to the main frame for now. Spare for the trailer and truck will also find a home somewhere on there too. Thanks for 5e links, I will check them out!

i will likely replace my bunk carpet with uhmw at some point too.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-18-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Forward fuel tank would be nice, I have a Lowe 1756 Roughneck Side Console with a 90/65 Merc Jet on a jacking plate. The 17 gal fuel tank is under the deck toward the stern where the seating for the controls are, and the batteries are further back toward the stern than that, so lots of weight at the stern ( not a tunnel hull). I'v had to put a splash plate and floatation pods on the stern to deal with the wash from the Jet and the floatation pods made a huge difference as well. I see that Lowe now makes the same boat with a tunnel and a higher stern mounting surface for Jets and floatation pods, would have been nice when I bought my boat. Also thinking a prop bottom end for mine, that thing would fly with 90 horses.

Yeah, I wanted to want the jet, but it doesn’t make sense for my uses. I may add pods and or a tunnel at some point (my friend owns a custom aluminum boat manufacturing company and can do this in his sleep) if I end up in a scenario where I’m in skinny water regularly.

@Ride Red, Thanks for the video link. Those guys did the same thing for the 4AWG wire as me. Although I ordered a 25’ set. Even with my discount at Mercury Marine or Lordco, the cheapest for a single 25’ length 4AWG wire was $50 per. The jumper cables were $28 for the HD tinned wire set that is 2 strands with a super heavy coating. I’m really wanting to run both my batteries up front, but for now I may just do the deep cycle up front that will power my winch and trolling motor in fishing season. With the winch, anchor, tools, and possibly a 3 gallon “spare” tank of fuel up front, I think the weight might be fine. I will at least start that way, and have the 6 gallon and smaller cranking battery in the rear. I can always move the second battery later if I need to. I have a thread going on a duck hunting forum and a guy from California is kitting his boat out very similar to what I’m doing, so I’ll post the link below. I’m stealing the 6/3 fuel idea from him instead of buying a new 9 gallon like I planned.

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads...8221;.1079405/

Since this is a prop vs jet thread...I already posted why not both earlier....I think everyone would agree there is no one good boat and if everyone had their druthers we'd all have 5 boats....I finally got my new tunnel jet RIB which seems to be a pretty good all around boat, runs bigger skinny water and cuts waves in windy lakes and ocean..my outboard intake height is perfect, no cavitation, falling edge of intake is 1/2" lower than the boat bottom, super happy..negatives are hard to control at slow speeds like salmon trolling..

Im sourcing a jack plate and a prop for it..best of both worlds..why not both?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

E.D. - post a pic or two of your rig? It sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Since this is a prop vs jet thread...I already posted why not both earlier....I think everyone would agree there is no one good boat and if everyone had their druthers we'd all have 5 boats....I finally got my new tunnel jet RIB which seems to be a pretty good all around boat, runs bigger skinny water and cuts waves in windy lakes and ocean..my outboard intake height is perfect, no cavitation, falling edge of intake is 1/2" lower than the boat bottom, super happy..negatives are hard to control at slow speeds like salmon trolling..

Im sourcing a jack plate and a prop for it..best of both worlds..why not both?
    What motor do you have ED and what RIB did you get?

I ordered a stryker 470 RIB luckily before prices costs went up on shipping, aluminum etc ...and I had a new 115/80 Mercury outboard on it.

For the price I paid it's an awesome boat and you can overlook the poor chinese craftsmanship....I will eventually do a in depth review on the boat on youtube once I've had it for awhile...Jerod (stryker owner) has very little info online about the RIBs and looking at one at his shop and asking questions really didn't tell me what's under the floor for structure, how well the tunnel works, how shallow it can run, how much boat is in the water when not on plane, how much weight it can plane, top speed, fuel consumption etc..

Every boat is a comprimise but with the deep V to flatter profile progressive hull I think this boat will be pretty good at a few things...If I can switch over to a prop for ocean trips I imagine the boat will be a fair bit faster, way better on fuel, avoid cavitation in big waves and track better for salmon trolling

Im still trying to convince my hunting partners to go 3 ways on a Solar to throw in the front of this boat for when you want to go a bit further..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA