Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop vs Jet

Prop vs Jet

So I’m planning to buy a new Jon boat that is a little bigger than what I currently have. Looking at a 1754 that I would rig with either a 60/40 jet or a 50 prop. I have 3 dogs and two humans to float, so need the space. It will mostly be a lake fishing rig, but I plan on continuing with my duck hunting exploits. For those of you that hunt the marsh, would you bother with a jet? In the future, I might want to play in the rivers too, but that’s not a priority as of today. I know jets are less efficient and less maneuverable than props, but I don’t want to be limited in the future.

If any of you have owned both, what would you do? I also have a 1436 flat bottom with a 9.9 that I could wiggle into the marsh.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Prop vs Jet

If you want to run in marshy conditions a jet may not be the best choice. They tend to suck everything up and plug the jet, especially with the smaller pumps. A Merc factory jet runs a bigger pump than a 60/40 Yammy so it may be a better choice if you go the jet route.

Have you ever checked out a mud motor like a Mud Buddy or Pro Drive? Other than being loud they can really handle marshy conditions and are better on fuel than a jet. I’ve seen a couple used in rivers around here and they do well with a skeg rock guard.

Take a look at a Jon boat with a tunnel hull and run a prop. Then you can have a bit of both worlds
    Last edited by Brew; 07-05-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I’m starting to lean towards prop anyway, as I can trim up, and make do. It would be nice to be able to try a jet before I drop $10k on a motor, but that’s unlikely. The hull is a regular mod-v and that isn’t going to change.

Tried them all. The most versatile for reeds, shallow water etc. is a Mud Buddy short shaft. The tiller set up is easy to trim in shallow or marshy areas but drops down when you need to run in deeper water. I get 25 MPH on a 16/48 welded Jon boat with 2 dogs, 2 men, and lots of gear.

There is a learning curve with these motors but once you get the hang of it, it’s a piece of cake. I changed from a prop, to a jet to a Mud motor. The later works best.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Tried them all. The most versatile for reeds, shallow water etc. is a Mud Buddy short shaft. The tiller set up is easy to trim in shallow or marshy areas but drops down when you need to run in deeper water. I get 25 MPH on a 16/48 welded Jon boat with 2 dogs, 2 men, and lots of gear.

There is a learning curve with these motors but once you get the hang of it, it’s a piece of cake. I changed from a prop, to a jet to a Mud motor. The later works best.
    And does this all somehow work for lakes too?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    They work in all conditions. They are limited to smaller boats but work great for 14-17’ punts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Yes. At least it does for my purposes. Towed quite a few people (200 lbs.) on tubes and used it to get to “boat only” beaches but never used it for fishing although a friend with a 17/60 uses his with a decent electric motor for fly casting and trolling.

Like I said…..I started with a 40 hp prop, then a jet drive and ended up with a 35 hp Mud Buddy. Wasted quite a bit of money trading each one out when it didn’t function quite the way I wanted. The Mud Buddy worked the best for me.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Those are cool motors for sure, but I think overkill for me. I will start with a 50 hp prop I have decided. That’s the max power rating for my boat, so at least I’m getting THAT right

Thanks for the input guys!

Done deal. Boat paid for cash. Motor ordered. We’ll see how long it takes for both to get here. Hoping for mid October, but it might be a bit later.