Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop vs Jet

Re: Prop vs Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Have to ask why would you swap to a prop? Fuel? or? not being sarcastic but am wondering as everything that I know of high speed commercially is using jets.
    There are benefits to using a prop motor if all your in is deep water. I’ve heard of guys that are in the lower mainland for instance running a jet most the year for any of the smaller rivers or even the Fraser but then switching to a prop leg when fishing gets good out on the ocean. 1/3 less fuel when running the same speed but 1/3 more power when you need it, quieter, able to run rough water without cavitation, can troll with it and still have low speed steering.

It’s a bit of work switching over but once you’ve done it a couple times it’s not bad.

The trolling/low speed steering is one of the main reasons I went prop. I asked three of the Thunderjet dealers staff (who all have jets and prop boats) and who know me, what they would do for my use. All three said without hesitation “prop”. Both my long term duck hunting buddies who grew up in the Ladner marshes said “prop”. My “cool guy” mentality still says jet, but my practical “adult” side says listen to the people with experience and who know how I will use the boat. Damn practicallities...

Maybe I’ll buy a jet pump one day and start the swap regimen.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

So you don’t need a jet to run skinny water apparently. Just a jack plate and cavitation plate. He shows his setup at the start, but the real run starts at the 5:00 point. They run about 6-8” of water at around 40 mph in a prop driven boat...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=298&v=IHEfnse9oRM&feature=emb_ title

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    So you don’t need a jet to run skinny water apparently. Just a jack plate and cavitation plate. He shows his setup at the start, but the real run starts at the 5:00 point. They run about 6-8” of water at around 40 mph in a prop driven boat...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=298&v=IHEfnse9oRM&feature=emb_ title
    There’s a big difference running tidal flats vs running boney rivers where the next rock/stump/log could potentially tear your leg off or just destroy your prop. The video also shows this motor riding high with the ride plate way above the water. The cooling intakes are below this level in cavitated water and I’d be suspect to how much cooling that motor is receiving.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

You noticed it’s a tunnel hull, right? I’m sure that helps a bit, but I’m in no way suggesting I’m headed that direction. I just thought some might get a kick out of the video.

I’ve been reading where some are running their prop engines with the cavitation plate about 1-1.5” above the bottom of the hull instead of even with it. Apparently that works just fine, and if I feel the need, I may shift my motor up a hole or two and see how it goes, but in the end, for my lower speed forays into the Fraser mouth channels I’ll be in for the immediate future, the power tilt button will likely be all the help I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    You noticed it’s a tunnel hull, right? I’m sure that helps a bit, but I’m in no way suggesting I’m headed that direction. I just thought some might get a kick out of the video.

I’ve been reading where some are running their prop engines with the cavitation plate about 1-1.5” above the bottom of the hull instead of even with it. Apparently that works just fine, and if I feel the need, I may shift my motor up a hole or two and see how it goes, but in the end, for my lower speed forays into the Fraser mouth channels I’ll be in for the immediate future, the power tilt button will likely be all the help I need.
    Tunnel hulls were designed to support the use of jet outboards, not props.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

There was a guy on here, Kudu was his handle, a few years back that ran a tunnel hull with a prop motor. He claimed that he could go in less water than a similar outboard jet. I can’t say as I ever bought his claims completely but it would be a good compromise for the kind of water the OP is running.

Small outboard jets really hate weeds. Prop motors hate rocks. The answer is actually quite simple. A guy needs a couple different boats.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    There was a guy on here, Kudu was his handle, a few years back that ran a tunnel hull with a prop motor. He claimed that he could go in less water than a similar outboard jet. I can’t say as I ever bought his claims completely but it would be a good compromise for the kind of water the OP is running.

Small outboard jets really hate weeds. Prop motors hate rocks. The answer is actually quite simple. A guy needs a couple different boats.
    That’s a great claim, wonder what’s left of that bottom end now.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Tunnel hulls were designed to support the use of jet outboards, not props.
    There are two different kinds of tunnel hulls and one supports the use of an outboard jet and the other a outboard prop motor. The jet model has a tunnel only 4” or so high, whereas the prop tunnel hull is a lot deeper and the motor is put on a Jack plate. The motor is raised until there is cavitation which if designed right is about the time the skeg is even with the bottom of the boat hull.

Double post.