Thread: Elk hunting info call out!!!

Elk hunting info call out!!!

Hi,

I have been bow hunting for 5 years now and am going to go on my first elk hunt this September. I am considering the sparwood/Elkford area sept.1-10. I’m obviously not looking for anyone’s honey hole but any information on that area or anywhere I would have some success at putting eyes on some elk would be greatly appreciated. Rec spots for camping, truck/atv access, closed fsr’s etc. I’m in great backcountry shape and have no problem hiking around but have heard grizz are bad so be prepared for that. Thanks in advance peeps!!

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Elk hunting info call out!!!

Making up your mind to hunt elk is a great idea! Scout the area, put up trail cams, salt licks, and look for sign! I started hunting elk in 2007, and I haven’t missed a season since!! That dam bull bugling at you, is something you will chase every year!! Scout even when your not scouting. Pour over google earth, watch YouTube, ask on HBC, surround yourself with like minded people, it’s an addiction!! Good luck, learn to call, when to call, when not to call, it’s awesome!!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I was just searching old elk threads for info. There are so many that start with…
    ’i don’t want your honey hole but…’. I am in the same situation as you with regard to elk. Use google earth; search some threads (tons of good info but ignore Jelvis - most of the time but not always, the occasional nugget is there); put your boots on the ground; don’t ask for guidance on where you might find mulies, whities, goats, sheep, moose, and especially elk and expect too much help. Especially in the E. Koots area. They get overrun by LM hunters. A question about grouse, hares, even b. bears will get responses but the rest of the info is hard won by people who have spent the time to figure it out. Good luck and have fun figuring it out yourself. Hope to see you out there and successful!

Awesome info, I’ve been dialing in my bugling and obtaining as much info I can through the avenues you suggested. Do you carry a firearm with you in grizz county for protection while bow hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyguy6 View Post
    Awesome info, I’ve been dialing in my bugling and obtaining as much info I can through the avenues you suggested. Do you carry a firearm with you in grizz county for protection while bow hunting?
    I spend a lot of time out searching, cutting trail and checking out new areas. In spring and summer I generally don't carry a firearm. Not sure why. When I'm hunting in September I have bear spray on my belt, good knowledge of bear activity and I seem to avoid them. While I can not say that for the guys I hunt with. They pack 45-70 and have had to use them a few times. Not to hit the grizz, but to drop some lead in front of the bear to stop the attack.

It's always best to be prepared. In the area I'm currently working/scouting, I've identified 2 grizzlies (while I know of 5) and about 5 or 6 black bears. In September, we are often visited (creeping in on a set up) by cougar as well.

Lots of good stories.

Ya I have heard of guys carrying a 45-70. Bear spray on the belt and a good idea in your surroundings is always best. I got charged by a mom with Cubs this spring and she was only a black bear so I want to be prepared for grizz!