Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain rifles

Re: Mountain rifles

If you are just looking to cut weight, then generally rifles are the most expensive place to find weight savings. I played the lightweight factory game for a few years with Kimbers and Sako/Tikka. But settled on a couple of full custom rifles. I just preferred the fit/finish and ergonomics, over the factory rifles. While the accuracy is definitely better, it is the consistency of that accuracy that is more important to me. A rifle that fits is going to shoot better in a wider range of conditions and positions. So whatever model you look at, I would stress the importance of finding something that fits you well.

I'll 2nd the above comments that 280ai should really be looked at as the minimum mountain cartridge. 7saum is a ballistic twin and is what I've built. I have shot a bunch of bears in the past number of years with 6.5's ranging from 260rem to a 6.5ss (short Magnum wildcat) and I was less then impressed with the results. Step up even to a 7-08 and there was a noticeable improvement. The size of the hole really does make a difference and for me 7mm is the minimum now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I was just looking at the wss gef rifle raffle and wondering what everybody’s opinion is on a good mountain rifle. I’m packing an older browning a-bolt 2 with a synthetic stock in 300wsm that cost me I think $650. My brother just picked up one of the weatherby backcountry in 280 ackley.

Looking at the cost difference, my rifle will shoot moa or better, has a brake on it and the trigger is pretty decent and set to about 2.5 pounds. I’d have to check the weight again, but I think it was around 8 something pounds with scope. Part of me wants to upgrade this unit, but I just can’t justify spending $3k or more for something that will be marginally better and slightly lighter. I always look at the cost of stuff when I’m trying to lighten my pack and I’m getting to the point where it’s turning into hundreds of dollars to save ounces. Ive read a few things that said super light rifles get hard to shoot accurately with how much they jump

Anyways. What are you guys doing? Hi quality factory? Partial custom? Full custom? What caliber? It seems like lots of people default to the 280 ackley, but I think I’d be looking at something in a 6.5mm that could launch a 140 grain bullet at 3000fps or faster.
    I’m curious what you and your brother think of the Weatherby Backcountry. I’ve been thinking about one of these as my next rifle. I have a couple of Weatherbys Vanguards and like them a lot, but the weight is a bit on the high end.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

if you are getting old, great! a new rifle wont solve any problems, other than a bruised ego!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I’m curious what you and your brother think of the Weatherby Backcountry. I’ve been thinking about one of these as my next rifle. I have a couple of Weatherbys Vanguards and like them a lot, but the weight is a bit on the high end.
    I haven’t shot it yet. The last time we were at the range he didn’t have much ammo with him. I’ll let u know when I do
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have a abolt ii in 7mmwsm with a Zeiss conquest on top it weighs in at 8.2lbs loaded. Not a light weight but not a deal breaker for me. That said buy another rifle can't have too many. I will be packing a Ruger 30-06ai with a conquest that is 7.9lbs.

Its all what your happy with. I just spent about $8,000.00 on a lightweight rig with a high end zeiss. It shoots almost as good as my $650.00 a bolt and only weighs about a pound less.

Lightweight rifles can be accurate. Recently I put 5 shots into 5 15/16 inches at 492 yards from the sitting position aided with a set of buffalo sticks. That measurement works out to be 1.15 MOA. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter with a Leupold 2-7x32 scope in .280 AI shooting handloads loaded with Federal 155 gr. TLR and RL-26. The gel inside the stock had been removed, so the total rifle weight is 5 lbs 15.8 ounces. IMO, that level of accuracy is very good for a factory rifle shooting from a field position. And what a joy to carry! Much better than an 8 pound rifle. And this particular rifle/scope combo is very affordable.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

I have an abolt in a 270wsm that I have killed dozens of game animals with, and out to 500m. I though i needed an up grade so I bought a sexy xbolt stainless stalker shot show special with a horny stalk, and flutted barrel, and a leupold VX5 with CSD on it in another 270 wsm. I have killed an, elk, moose and deer with it since I bought it last year. But I feel bad getting it dusty and muddy up here in the peace. I usually take my old a bolt out still anyways. ( unless with my son, then he takes it). I should have just put a new bell calson stock on it and maybe a new scope and spent my money on new binos or other gear but thats just me. I don’t change what doesn't fail and works well already.
    You want light weight, take psyllium fiber everyday and lose a pound or two you don’t want. Much cheaper. Lol
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 07-04-2021 at 08:09 PM.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    You want light weight, take psyllium fiber everyday and lose a pound or two you don’t want. Much cheaper. Lol

LOL Hell I could afford to lose 40lbs easy but theres no fun in that........buying or building rifles is way more fun
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
    Lightweight rifles can be accurate. Recently I put 5 shots into 5 15/16 inches at 492 yards from the sitting position aided with a set of buffalo sticks. That measurement works out to be 1.15 MOA. The rifle is a Kimber Hunter with a Leupold 2-7x32 scope in .280 AI shooting handloads loaded with Federal 155 gr. TLR and RL-26. The gel inside the stock had been removed, so the total rifle weight is 5 lbs 15.8 ounces. IMO, that level of accuracy is very good for a factory rifle shooting from a field position. And what a joy to carry! Much better than an 8 pound rifle. And this particular rifle/scope combo is very affordable.
    That is impressive. I may have to change after all. Lol
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!