Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain rifles

Re: Mountain rifles

OP. Sorry but going to sneak this in here . Mountain Rifle weight seems to be personnel …..? Some bigger and in shape fellas would not notice the weight of a heavier rifle . But curious as to what is considered an ideal weight ?
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 07-09-2021 at 06:01 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    OP. Sorry but going to sneak this in hear . Mountain Rifle weight seems to be personnel …..? Some bigger and in shape fellas would not notice the weight of a heavier rifle . But curious as to what is considered an ideal weight ?
    Arctic Lake
    Answers will be all over the board on this. At 5’8” and a fairly solid 190lbs I like a mountain rifle to come in between 6-1/2 and 7 pounds. That’s rifle with a scope mounted on it. I’ve tried to get lighter but then cost goes way up. I bought a Savage 110 lightweight stainless storm in 308 last fall that’s a weighed 5-1/2 pound rifle. With a Leupold Ultralight 3-9 and Talley rings it came in at 6.2lbs. While it shoots great the action is rough, the stock is hollow plastic and it’s a bit fugly. But at $950 tax in for the rifle it’s a good value if you are looking for a light weight rifle that you don’t need to worry about putting the odd mark on.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    OP. Sorry but going to sneak this in hear . Mountain Rifle weight seems to be personnel …..? Some bigger and in shape fellas would not notice the weight of a heavier rifle . But curious as to what is considered an ideal weight ?
    Arctic Lake
    Well as you mention everyone is different and for myself lighter the better, but of course the trade off is recoil and for some that don’t shoot much but once a year it can be detrimental, my older brother packed a 10lb 300 Weatherby for the last 30 years until we built him a 280AI on a Mark V 6 Lug SS action and now he has a scoped rifle that weighs 7.5lbs so he’s clicking his heels.

Jack OConnor though a scoped rifle of 7.5lbs was the perfect weight for a lightweight hunting rifle,

I’ll say anything between 6-7.5lbs is a dream to carry and shoot but again everyone is different, I also find if your hiking/backpacking a lot a rifle over 7.5lbs feels like a burden by the end of the day, the next guy will say it doesn’t matter.

Aaron Davidson of Gunwerks says if a rifle is lighter than 8lbs scoped you can’t shoot it properly when laying prone.
    Ive never shot an animal laying prone yet but ?

I break weights down into groups of scoped rifle weight,
    Ultra light - 5lbs-6.5lbs
    Lightweight - 6.5-7.5lbs
    standard weight - 7.5-9lbs
    wheelbarrow rifle- 9lbs and over
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Aaron Davidson of Gunwerks says if a rifle is lighter than 8lbs scoped you can’t shoot it properly when laying prone.

Don't GET that ? When laying Prone you will be shooting over your Pack - Coat etc or off a bipod PROBABLY ! RJ

His level of expectations / results is likely different than yours
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post

Don't GET that ? When laying Prone you will be shooting over your Pack - Coat etc or off a bipod PROBABLY ! RJ
    He says that a rifle of less than 8lbs is to prone to recoil and then you can't stay on your sight picture for a follow up shot, I told Aaron I only need one shot even if I am bleeding from my eyebrow
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 07-09-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Seems to me that when you are shooting prone , your shoulder and body take the whole recoil and there is no give anywhere. While shooting in other positions , like sitting , kneeling and standing , the recoil is somewhat less felt by the "rocking" of your body away from the target. If you say that you dont rock back with the recoil, try shooting with your back agin the ol barn door!
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

Prone Shooting in a Competition will have a LOT of rounds fired vs a hunting situation ! The light rifle will NOT be a hinder at all on a hunting situation . RJ

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    His level of expectations / results is likely different than yours
    That would True ! RJ

I have a 5 lb 10 oz M7 6.5 CM rifle !
    So Nice to carry and it shoots Well Enough for me - prob not good enough for some others on here ! RJ