Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain rifles

Mountain rifles

I was just looking at the wss gef rifle raffle and wondering what everybody’s opinion is on a good mountain rifle. I’m packing an older browning a-bolt 2 with a synthetic stock in 300wsm that cost me I think $650. My brother just picked up one of the weatherby backcountry in 280 ackley.

Looking at the cost difference, my rifle will shoot moa or better, has a brake on it and the trigger is pretty decent and set to about 2.5 pounds. I’d have to check the weight again, but I think it was around 8 something pounds with scope. Part of me wants to upgrade this unit, but I just can’t justify spending $3k or more for something that will be marginally better and slightly lighter. I always look at the cost of stuff when I’m trying to lighten my pack and I’m getting to the point where it’s turning into hundreds of dollars to save ounces. Ive read a few things that said super light rifles get hard to shoot accurately with how much they jump

Anyways. What are you guys doing? Hi quality factory? Partial custom? Full custom? What caliber? It seems like lots of people default to the 280 ackley, but I think I’d be looking at something in a 6.5mm that could launch a 140 grain bullet at 3000fps or faster.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain rifles

You could always buy a lighter factory rifle like a tikka t3x lite. I switched from a Howa with a heavy vortex diamondback to a tikka t3 with a lighter leupold scope and saved at least a pound of weight. The rifle scope combo cost me less than $1500

Kimber Hunter. Mike drop!!��
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

New Tikka SS Superlite in 6.5 PRC would be my Choice ! RJ

I won't go into rifles other than to say lighter scope and stock, but the 6.5 caliber I do know a little about. A 6.5-06 may reach 3000 if loaded hot, but 2800 is much more realistic. The 6.5mmRM is usually limited by the magazine length to 130gr. bullets. A 264WM does do 3200. The things is, long skinny bullets are not famous for knock 'em down, with dinner bell grizzlies, whose idea was no grizzly hunting, you may wish for a heavier caliber.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    New Tikka SS Superlite in 6.5 PRC would be my Choice ! RJ
    I would second what RJ mentions above if I had to buy a factory rifle in 6.5 PRC or Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent in 280AI

Aside from that I would go to a full custom build
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Is your ABORT WSM slowing you down in the mtns? PROLLY NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I would second what RJ mentions above if I had to buy a factory rifle in 6.5 PRC or Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent in 280AI

Aside from that I would go to a full custom build
    I have two kimbers and a t3xx super light.. kimber is my choice all the way.. super light swaro scopes..talk to the guys at great north prescion they will set you up.

Tikka t3x in 6.5 creed in stainless, I have a leupold vx3 HD with the dials on it. Nice lite accurate gun for a fair price. I bought everything from precision optics, I would highly recommend them. Omer was knowledgeable and takes his time with you going over options.
    Last edited by jac; 07-04-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

UltraLight rifles can shoot just as accurately as a heavier rifle, but thin barrels heat up quicker than heavy barrels and some start to walk as they heat up, just treat it and use it for what it is built for, a hunting rifle not a target rifle.

If you must shoot long strings of rounds let it cool between shots and all will be fine.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America