Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mountain rifles

Re: Mountain rifles

I just did my first custom rifle in 6.5. what I learned is customs are best if you want versatility and you can mold them for your shooting style. After a certain point making them light is counterproductive. All depends on what one can afford and their shooting skills. The best rifle in the world will mean nothing if you can’t shoot right.

Add me to the Kimber Hunter fan(boy) club.

Purchased one in 280 Ackley Improved about four years ago and slapped a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm on it. Use 140gr Nosler AB's and with 3 in the mag, the entire package comes in at an even 7 lb.

I have taken 3 black bears, 1 mule deer, 2 whitetail, 1 cougar, and 1 elk with it all at 100 yards or less. Nothing went further than 10 yards and I don't proclaim to be anything special when it comes to shooting.

I spent a touch over 2k for it all, including scope installation and three boxes of ammo. I'll keep trying to win something fancier in all those amazing WSSBC raffles, but I don't see myself buying another gun anytime soon.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

So I shot a 280 ackley kimber mountain ascent and a 280 ackley backcountry side by side last night and gave each of them a little going over. They’re really comparable rifles for ergonomics and feel. I shot both of them at a 300m gong with ease and I’m sure their accuracy potential would be equal.

The kimber- I found the action a bit sloppy and not so smooth and I didn’t like how high you have to throw the bolt, it almost hits the scope. This gun didn’t have a break on it, but the felt recoil was substantially higher and it jumped right off of the sandbags I was resting on. I’d have to check the weight differences, but I’m betting the kimber is slightly heavier, or at least the barrel profile is as you can feel the weight out there(I checked the weights and the kimber actually comes in lighter, so it must just be a heavier barrel profile). The thing that was really impressive was the trigger. He didn’t measure it, but it was way lighter than the weatherby.

The weatherby- Like I said, ergonomics are pretty similar. Not that I’d ever be shooting freehand, but it holds really nice and balanced with the light profile barrel. I have mixed feelings on the recoil pad. It absorbs a lot of the recoil, but it’s deformed from standing up on the pad in the safe. It’s a soft piece of rubber and it squishes and doesn’t return right away. Apparently it does go back to normal after a while, but I wouldn’t store it on its butt pad, I’d have to figure something else out. The trigger is the deal breaker for me. This trigger hasn’t been messed with but I’d be willing to bet it’s right around 2.5 pounds. If you can’t turn that down or buy a replacement to turn down than it would be out of the question for me.

Than comes caliber selection. If I got this right, the smaller kimber calibres are 6.5 creed, 7-08 or the 280 ackley. I think the caliber selections for the weatherby were far better, other than a lot of them were the weatherby mgnums which might be harder/more expensive to shoot.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The Kimber is about 8 o z lighter then the WBee The Wbee has a fully adjustable trigger tech trigger which can be made Perfect like the Kimber is. RJ

The Backcountry Ti in 280 AI is listed as 4.9 pounds but will set you back $1000 more than the regular Backcountry which is listed at 5.4 lbs in 280AI on the Weatherby website. On some other forums I have seen reports of split stocks in the Backcountry. Anyone here heard of the same issue?

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    The Kimber is about 8 o z lighter then the WBee The Wbee has a fully adjustable trigger tech trigger which can be made Perfect like the Kimber is. RJ
    I figured the trigger can be tuned down. My brother is a bit of a pussy when it comes to mucking with triggers and stuff. We’ll see if he’ll tweek it after hunting season.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.