Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Mountain rifles

Re: Mountain rifles

I'm shooting a Christensen arms 300 prc mesa that I put a xlr element chassis on and a leupold 4x24x52 on the whole thing with bipod is under 7.7lbs.the stock is 23 oz totaled it's made of magnesium

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I’m curious what you and your brother think of the Weatherby Backcountry. I’ve been thinking about one of these as my next rifle. I have a couple of Weatherbys Vanguards and like them a lot, but the weight is a bit on the high end.
    I have two of these one in a titanium in 6.5 rpm and it’s insanely accurate with handloads. Im using reloader 25 and 143 grain eldx’s at 2996 fps. It will shoot sub half moa if i do my part. The other is the standar backcountry mk v in 300 wby and it is a 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle again with handloads. I’m shooting a 200 grain eldx at 3042 fps. The triggertech triggers are awsome. Now the downside. The stocks that come on these rifles look nice but they are garbage. On both rifles the stocks cracked behind the front pillar within 60 rounds. Yes the action screws were torqued to spec. Im currently waiting for both stocks to be replaced on warranty. I purchased a new bell and carlson stock for the 300 so i can atleast hunt with it while i wait for a replacement stock. If i were looking at a lightweight weatherby i would just stick with the standard ultralight instead of the backcountry as it has a bell and carlson and they are well made and have a full lenght aluminium bedding block. Just my two bits
    Last edited by quarterman; 07-12-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterman View Post
    I have two of these one in a titanium in 6.5 rpm and it’s insanely accurate with handloads. Im using reloader 25 and 143 grain eldx’s at 2996 fps. It will shoot sub half moa if i do my part. The other is the standar backcountry mk v in 300 wby and it is a 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle again with handloads. I’m shooting a 200 grain eldx at 3042 fps. The triggertech triggers are awsome. Now the downside. The stocks that come on these rifles look nice but they are garbage. On both rifles the stocks cracked behind the front pillar within 60 rounds. Yes the action screws were torqued to spec. Im currently waiting for both stocks to be replaced on warranty. I purchased a new bell and carlson stock for the 300 so i can atleast hunt with it while i wait for a replacement stock. If i were looking at a lightweight weatherby i would just stick with the standard ultralight instead of the backcountry as it has a bell and carlson and they are well made and have a full lenght aluminium bedding block. Just my two bits
    What kind of adjustments can you get out of the trigger tech for the weatherby? I think I read somewhere the weatherby factory trigger only tunes down to about 2.5 pounds, but I’m going by memory.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

My WBee MK 240 Mag Ultralight weights in at 5.75 lbs bare I have the trigger worked over to under 2 lbs and Crisp ! RJ

Its 2.5 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by quarterman View Post
    Its 2.5 pounds
    Maybe Yours is ! mine is 28 oz on a Wheeler Professional digital trigger pull scale. RJ

Not trying to rock the boat here but weight is irrelevant to me, accuracy and predator management are very relevant. Many years of climbing/hiking in real mountains, distances many consider absurd, led me to perfect my gun carrying mechanism. I sling my rifle on either horn of a very well padded external pack frame. Sling to shooting position is 2 seconds or less. Ultimately, is it the gun weight in your hands all day (or on your shoulder) that’s an issue, and if so solve that. Carrying an extra 3-4 lbs on your hips and legs all day is no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    What kind of adjustments can you get out of the trigger tech for the weatherby? I think I read somewhere the weatherby factory trigger only tunes down to about 2.5 pounds, but I’m going by memory.
    I have the backcountry in a left handed 6.5-300. I have the triggertech at 1lb 14oz. Quarterman is the first I have heard talk about this stock issue! I generally bed every rifle but havent done my backcountry so I will probably do that for good measure. I sold my 6.5-300 ultralight after buying the backcountry. I find it a "next level" weatherby product and am absolutely impressed with mine in all aspects.

Last year I carried around my savage 111 in 358 norma with a luepold vx5. weighs around 8 lbs. if your looking to cut weight in your gear there is better and cheaper ways to save weight. Tent, bag, pack, food ect. But if your just looking for an excuse to buy another rifle I can sympathize. I'm trying to justify a lightweight 338 RUM at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I have the backcountry in a left handed 6.5-300. I have the triggertech at 1lb 14oz. Quarterman is the first I have heard talk about this stock issue! I generally bed every rifle but havent done my backcountry so I will probably do that for good measure. I sold my 6.5-300 ultralight after buying the backcountry. I find it a "next level" weatherby product and am absolutely impressed with mine in all aspects.
    I would hope that a $3000 rifle would have at least the recoil lug bedded at the factory.

I won’t be buying a new rifle this year, but the backcountry in 6.5 rpm is looking pretty attractive, with a trigger tech set at 1.75 pounds
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.