Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain rifles

Re: Mountain rifles

Corlanes have podcast, mentioned before here as bear attacks, but they talk about mountain rifles as well. Always good to get an expert advice.

I have a Howa alpine mountain rifle chambered in 7mm-08 and mounted a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10x40 scope with Talley rings. No muzzle brake.
    The rifle, scope, rings and neoprene scope cover weigh 7.12 lbs. Rifle only is 5.7 lbs.
    This setup allows me to hike anywhere and puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up.
    Not available anymore but gives a weight reference.

I love my Kimber mountain ascent Chambered in 280 Ackley. Shoots under half inch groups and weighs 6 pounds 3 oz scoped

Best podcast I've listened to on this was Journal of Mountain Hunting' Beyond the kill: Episode 238. That should help your decision.

Kimber Montana for me. Leupold vx3i

solid setup, can’t say it doesn’t anything different then A tikka , but personally I love the rifle

My first rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard2 SS 30:06 with Vortex Viper.

Awesome set up for the price except, my preferred style of hunting became

stalk and spot all day.

Did my homework and purchased a Kimber MA in 280ai with Leopold v3 b&c.

The difference carrying it around all day is unbelievable.

I just don’t even hardly notice it!

Also, with the muzzle brake plus the chamber, kickback is so mild.

If I had to do it over after 4 years, wouldn’t change a thing.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

My T3X Super Lite 7-08 with a Wildcat stock - Talley 30 mm rings with a 4.5 x 14 x 40 Leupold 30mm Side Focus CDS scope is ALL in at 103 oz - So just under 6.5 lbs ! RJ

I for one really like packing my 300RUM for all of my Mountain hunts. I have a Christensen Arms Summit TI with a Leupold VX-5HD weighing 7Lbs 12oz. I like having the bear stopping power of my RUM not worried about packing a small Caliber rifle.

Melvin built me a New Ultralight Arms (NULA) chambered in 7-08. With Talley rings, Leupold 2.5-8 x36 scope, Leupold flip up caps, sling and 4 rounds it weighs 6 lbs 6 1/2 ounces. Bare rifle 5 lbs on the button. A dream to pack and shoot.

The hunting rifle I’ve been primarily using the last couple years is kimber hunter in 280AI, shoots like a dream, nice to carry. I’m really happy with it. Although years ago I was headed on a hunt that I wasn’t in shape for so I hacked up a Remington 600. Got it down to 6.25 pounds hunt ready without taking any metal off. Just wood.