Thread: Raccoon and squirrel dog training advice

Raccoon and squirrel dog training advice

Hello!

My girlfriend got a puppy and is doing a ton of reading and training on this dog. He looks real promising for obedience so I am thinking of training it for raccoon and squirrels. I have never trained a dog and this dog not a generally accepted bread for these purposes.

i have been looking at training guides and instruction online. Video and text.

Does anyone do training or training consulting on Vancouver Island? Any recommended information sources would also be appreciated

thank you all very much.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Raccoon and squirrel dog training advice

So I read some stuff and the puppy just turned 13 weeks(whatever that is in real age units). I tied a squirrel shaped toy with paracord to the end of a fishing pole. This dog went NUTS. He had so much fun chasing it. My wife tried it later with a different toy, nothing. Put the squirrel back on and went nuts again.

I am planning on working with this prey drive he has. Keep working on obedience. It also looks like cabelas sells squirrel tails. Unless I get one myself, that will be the next step.

i have no idea on timing but i will add scent into the training….somehow.

Re: Raccoon and squirrel dog training advice

Thos dog is awesome. 13 weeks and it chases, anticipates, and takes out that training squirrel. Raccoons, however, it could not care less about. We have a family at the garbage cans at work. The dog saw one, from as little as 6 feet away, and he could not have been less interested.

So i am thinking a squirrel and rat dog instead of raccoon.