Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your best call in

Re: Your best call in

My first bear hunt ever, my buddy and I, both absolute newbies were driving down into a valley. I saw a bear on the road take off into a cut block so I stopped the truck and jumped out. That bear was running like it realized it left a pie in the oven at home, so I hammered on a predator call. That bear stopped, turned around and came flying back at us. He stopped at 20 yards to look at us. Beautiful fire red colour phase bear. Of course I had buck fever like you wouldn’t believe and couldnt settle the crosshairs so that bear walked.

few years later, shared moose hunt with 3 other guys. 2 of us were driving to the top of a mountain, we stopped at the top and got ready to do some hiking. We were parked in a small valley with a cutblock in the bottom. I looked across the valley (about 600 yards) and something black outlined against the snow on the opposite slope. Binos up, bull moose! I gave my best/worst cow call and without hesitating he came ambling down the hill followed by another smaller bull. Well this was nice as we could shoot 2 bulls. We got into position, every time the bull would stop I gave another cow call, reeled him in to 10 yards and gave him the what for in the lungs. This spooked the second bull but buddy ran down the road, cut him off and gave him some medicine as well. Hunt over, 1 hour into day one.

The best call in I've ever seen was a 49" Bull Moose that my sister shot. We had just walked through a swamp/meadow and were about to head into the clearcut on the other side. As we started up the hill into the clearcut my sister said she though she just heard a bull grunting from back towards the meadow. We ran back down the hill to the edge of the meadow and as we get there I hear honking and look up to see 2 Canada geese fly overhead, "did we seriously run back here because you heard geese". The off toward the end of the meadow I heard it heavy grunting, coming fast, a large bull comes into view charging into the open. OMG HE'S CHASING THE GEESE. The bull actually thought the the honking Canada geese flying over were another bull and was chasing after them. When he gets to 100 yards I give a small grunt and he stops in his tracks and looks towards us. POW sis drops him.
    Last edited by Bigdoggdon; 07-04-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Some great posts!!

A couple of years ago

Have lots of others, just have to transfer them to a sharing site.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Arrow Re: Your best call in

This goes back more than a few years... As in when i was actually rather youngish... LOL

My Native Buddy and I were hunting moose, out of our canoe, ranging both rivers and lakes in our pursuit.
    On one stretch of the river there was a lot of sign, so were checked it out fairly frequently.
    One of those late afternoons, I gave a couple calls as per usual, to an immediate response!
    The bull was only 30 or 40 feet away, responding well, but blocked for our view by the intense screen of willows bordering the river. As much as I tried to plead him into wandering out to the cutbank above us, he simply refused - stalled out but obviously still interested...

My partner gave me a wink, filled the bailing can with water, and nodded at me to cow call again.
    As I did so he poured the water into the river with a resounding sound of tinkling cow pee.

The response was instantaneous!!
    That bull was now totally convinced the horny gal of his dreams was standing stream side, and he came a running!

We expected that he would stall when he got to the edge of the 8 foot cutbank to try and spy the one of his desires.
    Nope.

Damn thing burst out of the willows, and literally sprang down the cutbank right at us!!

When he got to the edge of the water, he took a bloody great leap - right over the center of our canoe smack between us!
    Unfortunately one of his hind legs did not clear the craft, and smashed a handful of ribs, the canvas behind that, and the gunwale into smithereens! That instantly flipped the slender craft, tossing both of us, our rifles and our gear into 6 or 7 feet of slowly flowing water!

Sputtering for breath, I cursed that SOB as he disappeared into the brush on the opposite side of the river.
    No chance for a shot, and I REALLY wanted to kill that one for sure!

We eventually retrieved everything, soaked sleeping bags, rifles, camp stove and all.
    Then hauled the broken canoe downstream to a flatter bank area, and set up a makeshift camp,

Took us two days to gather enough spruce gum to lather over a T shirt stretched over the crude collection of materials we assembled to field repair the canoe. That worked well enough we only had to bail it out around once an hour.
    Made it back to base camp the next day, and pulled the pin - leaving the canoe at my Partner's brothers place - burn it or fix it - don't even want to see it again.

We were back in a couple days, along with a 14 foot Lund and 18 horsepower outboard.
    Shot two bulls on that trip, but neither were anywhere as close to the size of the one that stomped us.
    Still wishing I had got a round or two into him...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me