Thread: Mountain Goat info for McBride area

Mountain Goat info for McBride area

Good day everyone. Going to be around the McBride area Aug 15 for a few days so going to go look for a Goat. Never hunted that area before, I am from FSJ. So looking for any Info on where to hunt and how to find them as I never hunted goat before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for honey holes or any thing as such, just some help for me and my son. And if any one know of any good camping spots, cabins or places to stay that would be a big help. Like I said never hunted that area or explored it yet.
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Mike
    Last edited by Bunner; 07-10-2021 at 06:06 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain Goat info for McBride area

Hey I'm also from fsj we can talk goat/ sheep hunting ill pst you
    Last edited by 338edgehunter; 07-10-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Very rough country, expect killer climbs through bush, blowdowns and devil's club to get to the goats. They are there but you have to work for those one's! Almost guaranteed to encounter grizz too. I always liked the area just for the extremeness of it all.
    Last edited by islandhunter; 07-10-2021 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Just west of McBride is the Goat river. It’s a good start. There is an old forestry road off the highway to the goat river trail. The trail is easy walking. Anything off the trail is tough hiking. It’s steep and thick.
    It’s called goat river because there’s goats there. If you drive the roads along that valley and glass you should see them. Getting to them may not be easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    Just west of McBride is the Goat river. It’s a good start. There is an old forestry road off the highway to the goat river trail. The trail is easy walking. Anything off the trail is tough hiking. It’s steep and thick.
    It’s called goat river because there’s goats there. If you drive the roads along that valley and glass you should see them. Getting to them may not be easy though.
    I was up goat river 2 weeks ago for the first time. Certainly a nasty climb through the jungle! My 25 year old son said it was doable!

I suggest bringing a high quality light weight saw to help cut through brush. To get above alpine is very challenging depending on what side of the highway you choose to hunt.

Sounds like the kind of bush where you don't want any loose gear hanging off packs or belts...I used to have a shell holder, range finder and compact camera pouches on my pack waste belt, got to the top, half the shells are gone, cameras gone and I did not want to go back and look lol...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA