Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving to the Okanagan

Re: Thinking about moving to the Okanagan

Hey Russ, not to rain on your parade but it's a shit show in Kamloops if you want to buy a place. My friends sold their place in Kelowna and have been trying to buy a place in Kamloops for months. Just talked with them the other day and houses are selling for 70k + over asking. They have put in offers and the house is gone the next day for 70k more than they offered. They are pretty bummed out. Imaging having 600 000 cash and you still can't buy a house.

Not sure how often & what time of year you've traveled out of the LML, but just I'll just mention that winter driving in the interior including the Okanagan can be a challenge for those not used to the conditions. I avoid the Coq in the winter as there are so many nut job drivers not adjusting their speed to conditions. Travel east involves mountain passes on virtually every highway that are subject to closures for avalanche work. So if your relatives lived in say Calgary, you would quite often find yourself stranded. Winter tires will be mandatory.
    Last edited by mike31154; 07-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.

I LIVED in Vernon for 37 years 65-02 and i liked it - Can go Easy to the west or east - north or south to Fish - Hunt - Camp etc - RJ

I’d say Vernon is a pretty good choice. As RJ mentioned you can head several directions to hunt and fish.

Penticton and south is also a good bet.

I’ve lived in West Kelowna since ‘72 and the changes I’ve seen of late are just crazy. High density housing going up everywhere!

It still only takes me 12-13 mins to get to work and back so it’s not terrible for my hours.
    For us, we’ll most likely head east for retirement….boundary area or East Kootenays.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

One thing you will have to remember is that the South Okanagan is becoming the dumping grounds for the current NDP government to buy up motels- hotels and turn them into low cost drug houses . Seeing how the NDP will never elect anyone in these regions , they could care less about who show up here or what they do . The current swing in property crime , thief etc etc + crackheads hanging around is off the chart .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Hey Russ, not to rain on your parade but it's a shit show in Kamloops if you want to buy a place. My friends sold their place in Kelowna and have been trying to buy a place in Kamloops for months. Just talked with them the other day and houses are selling for 70k + over asking. They have put in offers and the house is gone the next day for 70k more than they offered. They are pretty bummed out. Imaging having 600 000 cash and you still can't buy a house.
    Yea not looking at kamloops, leaning more towards vernon, looks like our money will go further and spoke with a realtor that said bidding wars and over asking prices aren't as common

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Not sure how often & what time of year you've traveled out of the LML, but just I'll just mention that winter driving in the interior including the Okanagan can be a challenge for those not used to the conditions. I avoid the Coq in the winter as there are so many nut job drivers not adjusting their speed to conditions. Travel east involves mountain passes on virtually every highway that are subject to closures for avalanche work. So if your relatives lived in say Calgary, you would quite often find yourself stranded. Winter tires will be mandatory.
    I'm fine with winter travel,the wife not as much but that's no big deal, I do most of our driving anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    One thing you will have to remember is that the South Okanagan is becoming the dumping grounds for the current NDP government to buy up motels- hotels and turn them into low cost drug houses . Seeing how the NDP will never elect anyone in these regions , they could care less about who show up here or what they do . The current swing in property crime , thief etc etc + crackheads hanging around is off the chart .
    Lol we're in the lower mainland nothing new there

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    The wife and I are thinking about selling our townhouse in langley and moving to the Okanagan,looking at listings it looks like you can get something in vernon at a reasonable price still, she'll be working from home and I'll have to figure out work but that won't be a big deal. We're not stuck on vernon at all ut wondering the goods/bads of it, any suggestions on other places is fine too, will need to be a big enough city that missus can stay entertained.

Also curious what waterfowl hunting is like up that way
    In the middle of finalizing a home out there and moving the family out,been a grind trying to get a home last one we liked went 100 k over ,some we went to see only to be told they excepted a bully offer the night before,seems it ranges from 50to 100k over asking ,we ended up getting a place that needs some work for asking price. Most would have multiple offers we figured it would be a breeze ,but seems just as competitive as vancouver.

We also just signed for a home in the Vernon area. Sold February in Abbotsford and it took until now to secure a decent place after the market blew up in April. You would think that if you had that much money in the bank that you could easily buy a home. I would make sure you have a plan if you can not find a place that you want. I am not trying to discourage you but it was not how we imagined it was going to happen. If I ever sell again it will be in a buyers market. I would rather sit on MY couch and wonder if my house will sell than what we are doing now. Looking forward to this next years though!
    Cheam