Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about moving to the Okanagan

Thinking about moving to the Okanagan

The wife and I are thinking about selling our townhouse in langley and moving to the Okanagan,looking at listings it looks like you can get something in vernon at a reasonable price still, she'll be working from home and I'll have to figure out work but that won't be a big deal. We're not stuck on vernon at all ut wondering the goods/bads of it, any suggestions on other places is fine too, will need to be a big enough city that missus can stay entertained.

Also curious what waterfowl hunting is like up that way

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thinking about moving to the Okanagan

Was in Kelowna yesterday what a nut house would be better to stay in the Langley at least you can drive around the lineups to some extent if it's Okanagan Valley stay at the north end

Keeping an eye on this post…a man can dream!

Don’t think just move out the city! Armstrong is beautiful ,
    Member of CCFR

Osoyoos maybe, Oliver probably, Kelowna, Penticton, Vernon no way.. too big and chaotic..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Things def getting crowded in the Okanagan. Traffic becoming a nightmare during summer tourist season. Kelowna, West Kelowna outta control, bursting at the seams. Vernon still tolerable most of the year except summer as mentioned. Traffic issues aside it's a great place to live. When the valley gets hectic simply drive up a nearby FSR, Hwy 6 to Lumby or north to Armstrong, Falkland etc. The Aberdeen/Thompson plateau east above the valley has many Alpine lakes to get away from the crowds. Same idea up the west side. Those do hold waterfowl, but it's nothing like the coast in that regard. 3 lakes pretty well in your back yard. Mind you Swan Lake is not much more than a large pond, but you can go for a quiet paddle on it without a whole bunch of ski boats etc ruining the experience. Kalamalka is my favourite for a paddle & Okanagan Lake is the other choice.

Paddling into Cosens Bay, Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Brookies & a Rainbow caught at one of my favourite Alpine Lakes up in the Monashees

3 Moose I spotted from a tree stand at the same Alpine Lake. Season for moose was a week down the road though

Kelowna is beautiful, with lots of sight for the eyes... but the traffic and tourist population is overwhelmingly bad, you couldn’t pay me enough to commute through that terribly laid out town on a daily basis and so help you god if you have to cross the bridge each day between 6-9 am or 330-6pm lol.

if you want to leave the city then leave the city and go somewhere nice. Salmon arm or anywhere up in that area... if you’re selling on the coast you can afford the prices there.

Good plan. I would go anywhere but Kelowna.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

​Keremeos !

Your life will be better in the interior/okanagan. Vernon is quite nice, Kelowna is busy Kamloops is great. Not a ton of waterfowl around here, you will find a good field or two but tons of water and not a lot of moving birds after sunrise, they find a spot and chill. I jump shoot puddles at sunrise then upland hunt the rest of the day or chase big game. I head to surrey or the island for ducks and geese, I drive 15 minutes from home to hunt literally everything else in BC.