Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bison Draw 7-42D

Re: Bison Draw 7-42D

Quote Originally Posted by Dustee View Post
    I did the hunt for the end of October last year. We stayed at bucking horse since it looked like it was going to be a bit cold and windy. Boy are we glad we did! Having a warm place to hang out in the evening was a life saver I think. We hunted hard for 10 days in Zone D, and saw old sign. We did hunt both Sikanni (North portion) as well as the Halfway basin (South Portion) and talked to people at both areas as well as some of the locals. We did the bypass around the Blueberry ranch, and it was a bit sketchy for sure. Having said that, I'm not 100% sure we took the correct path the whole way unless it's supposed to have a river crossing involved. We did talk to the ranch before hand and it was $200 per person to pass through there, as a group of 6, we decided it wasn't worth it. I have some ideas of where the bison were hiding away from all the action now that I've had some time to process and take a look at what we saw and didn't see. I'm more than happy to talk about that if someone would like my thoughts. Also I do have a map as well updated from last year, I even laminated it, so if anyone would like that for the upcoming season please just let me know.
    Hey Dustee thanks so much for the valuable information, I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject for sure. I am still very much on the fence about where to focus my attention, the most recent area I have hear Bison being killed is up in the Sikanni area. I am however not a fan of camping with 25 other different camps and a mad dash every morning to locate the good spots. I have an idea of where I would like to focus my attention but it could be a complete waste of time.

Does anyone know if there is a way to cross the Sikanni west of the highway? IHunter shows something that may be a crossing from the Marion Lake side? I am not sure Anyways thanks for all the help.

We got a group draw for this area but it was much later (Jan 2020). Camped at the air strip and rode out from there every day. Seems like the snow and cold winter brought the Bison down lower, but many still up in the hills much higher elevation then you would expect to see them at. I would think that in October you'd have better luck hunting the hills then hunting valley bottom. Send me a PM if you would like more information. We ended up taking two bison, one about 10km past the air strip, up about 1200 feet elevation above valley bottom and one in valley bottom about 5km from the cabins. Had to work to get them, and both came out on pack boards but made the trip all worth it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    Was up there last year for my brothers tag that same time. We were up in the Sikanni area. No fees to pay, stayed at the old airport, like everyone else. Quad trails are no access off trail head in that area. The river is crossable by quad in a few places. Hunted hard for the week, and no fresh sign, but last year was a tough year and even the guides in the area had a tough go.
    You can pay and stay at the cabins, and lessen the quad ride in, but that is upto you.

Worst part of the deal up there right now is a forest fire just north on the Kickinghorse river, just the next ridge over from the Sikanni, so that area might not be that great, and then I suggest the southern, pay the Blueberry Nation fee. Watch that fire tho, as it might blow thru that whole area and kick any plans you have for this year.
    do you mean bucking horse river?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

The gate by the airstrip...is that always locked? or is it left open for the ranch to pass through? That is the boarder of the MKMA? Can you sled around it in the winter to use the road if its left locked?
    Last edited by Darksith; 07-06-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    The gate by the airstrip...is that always locked? or is it left open for the ranch to pass through? That is the boarder of the MKMA? Can you sled around it in the winter to use the road if its left locked?
    Yes always locked, and only those with a key use it and lock it.

Under or around it an easy go. Big trail.

Sorry, yes the Bucking Horse River area has a fire, but that might be under control now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk_Valley_Hunter View Post
    We got a group draw for this area but it was much later (Jan 2020). Camped at the air strip and rode out from there every day. Seems like the snow and cold winter brought the Bison down lower, but many still up in the hills much higher elevation then you would expect to see them at. I would think that in October you'd have better luck hunting the hills then hunting valley bottom. Send me a PM if you would like more information. We ended up taking two bison, one about 10km past the air strip, up about 1200 feet elevation above valley bottom and one in valley bottom about 5km from the cabins. Had to work to get them, and both came out on pack boards but made the trip all worth it. Good luck!
    I think my biggest worry is, Is there enough space for 30 bison hunters plus however many moose hunters to hunt this area and not always be running into each other or vying for space? From the gate forward seems like a a narrow area for 30 people to be running around on quads. What was your experience dealing with just the sheer number of people.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Miller View Post
    I think my biggest worry is, Is there enough space for 30 bison hunters plus however many moose hunters to hunt this area and not always be running into each other or vying for space? From the gate forward seems like a a narrow area for 30 people to be running around on quads. What was your experience dealing with just the sheer number of people.

When we went up we decided to wait 4 days and let the eager beavers get in and get bored and go home. From all the research I did, it seems that there are generally a decent amount of people on the first few days of whichever 2 week period you hunt, and then everyone has real life to get back into. I have a spreadsheet somewhere that takes into account all of the time people put in from all of the posts on this forum that i could find pertaining to bison hunting, and the average amount of time people spent was just over 4 days. Hence why we went in 4 days later and hunted for 10.

On an animal finding note, I had some friends have the first two weeks in November in zone C, and they found some bison the first 2 days, but someone else harvested one, partially (only took the backstraps and one quarter), and then spooked the animals and they couldn't get on them after that. Last year was just a tough beginning of the year according to everyone I talked to up there, but from what I have been reading, it was pretty good for people in January! If you're going to look, spend the time in Sikanni, either pay to stay at the cabins, stay at the airstrip or one of the other sites along the road on the way in, or if the weather is as biting cold (-46 with windchill) as it was for us, you could always stay at Bucking Horse motel. It's not pretty, but its warm and the people are awesome!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I will be in Sikanni until Oct 2nd so will keep an eye out
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PG Miller View Post
    When I went, there was 15 tags given out for that time frame I believe. There were two other groups at the air strip, some groups at the cabins, and some that probably just didnt make the voyage. We did almost all our hunting on foot so didnt run into anyone but if you are just planning on driving up and down the roads you can expect it to be fairly congested. There is lots of area but hunting regulations dont allow you to venture very far off the main road by quad or side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk_Valley_Hunter View Post
    When I went, there was 15 tags given out for that time frame I believe. There were two other groups at the air strip, some groups at the cabins, and some that probably just didnt make the voyage. We did almost all our hunting on foot so didnt run into anyone but if you are just planning on driving up and down the roads you can expect it to be fairly congested. There is lots of area but hunting regulations dont allow you to venture very far off the main road by quad or side by side.
    I will be doing as much hiking as I can, however will be hunting with 1 fella who can’t do a while of up and down hiking due to a medical condition so he’ll probably be cruising area on the bike while Me and the other hunter hike certain areas. I do believe there are 30 draws for the October 1-15 hunt in 7-42 D so there could possibly be that many individuals in that area. Anyways thanks for the advice