Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Draw 7-42D

Bison Draw 7-42D

Hey Everyone!!! I am new to the forums here!! Relatively new to the hunting world too!! Last year some friends and I decided we wanted to try the bison hunt up north for a once and a life time experience. With draw odds hovering around the 1-50 range we figured we had a few years to plan this hunt. Well, we drew the damned thing after only 1 year, and we blew it on the scouting front as we anticipated a longer wait. Anyways long story short, I was curious about certain access issues.
    First of all, what is the best way to access this area? My draw is for the early season Oct.1-15 and I am aware that there is a trespass fee to be paid to the Blueberry Nation. Is there an easy way to contact the Band prior to departure just to Iron things out before a guy heads up? Is the fee reasonable I have heard somewhere in the neighbourhood of around 2-300$??
    Is there any opportunity for bison through the Sikanni area and does the trespass fee apply to this area as well??
    We may also have access to a jet boat, is this area huntable by this means or are the rivers too skinny??
    Sorry for the wall of text here, but just trying to get all my thoughts out in one blah.
    Anyways, thanks in advance for any info, I will absolutely provide a detailed story prior to the hunt so that the next person that heads up into this beautiful country will have a little more to go on.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bison Draw 7-42D

Hmm know nothing that will help HOWEVER
    CONGRADULATIONS
    srupp

Thanks man! Just excited to see the country

Big forest fire up there as we speak

Was up there last year for my brothers tag that same time. We were up in the Sikanni area. No fees to pay, stayed at the old airport, like everyone else. Quad trails are no access off trail head in that area. The river is crossable by quad in a few places. Hunted hard for the week, and no fresh sign, but last year was a tough year and even the guides in the area had a tough go.
    You can pay and stay at the cabins, and lessen the quad ride in, but that is upto you.

Worst part of the deal up there right now is a forest fire just north on the Kickinghorse river, just the next ridge over from the Sikanni, so that area might not be that great, and then I suggest the southern, pay the Blueberry Nation fee. Watch that fire tho, as it might blow thru that whole area and kick any plans you have for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    Was up there last year for my brothers tag that same time. We were up in the Sikanni area. No fees to pay, stayed at the old airport, like everyone else. Quad trails are no access off trail head in that area. The river is crossable by quad in a few places. Hunted hard for the week, and no fresh sign, but last year was a tough year and even the guides in the area had a tough go.
    You can pay and stay at the cabins, and lessen the quad ride in, but that is upto you.

Worst part of the deal up there right now is a forest fire just north on the Kickinghorse river, just the next ridge over from the Sikanni, so that area might not be that great, and then I suggest the southern, pay the Blueberry Nation fee. Watch that fire tho, as it might blow thru that whole area and kick any plans you have for this year.
    Oh that’s actually good news, I am in the D zone so I guess you’d call that the eastern portion. I thought there was a trespass fee, but not if you go In the Sikanni area? Well awesome that’s killer info!!

I saw that fire this morning �� pretty intense looking. Hopefully it contains itself but man, the weather does not look promising.

Thanks again for the tips!

Last edited by Ride Red; 06-30-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

^^^^^^^ This is the map Dixie sent me.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Where is the airstrip in comparison to the map?

The airstrip is just before the gate noted on the map. The Hammetts do not own the territory any more — it's owned by the Prophet River First Nation and run by Doug McKee and his wife. A river boat is not useful.