Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Re: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    It has me believing in better shooting with a more old fashioned caliber/bullet approach .
    Is old = mo' betta?

How old fashioned? Like 30-30 with a 170gr flat point? Over a 300 PRC with 212gr LRX?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Cool Re: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Lots of great choices out there as stated.

My preference runs to a custom barreled 300 Weatherby Magnum with warm 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

7mm rem mag, 150 TTSX will do. 300 win mag with 180 sciroccos will do, 375 H&H with 300 accubonds will do. 9.3x62 with 285 hornady rp will do. the 6.5 PRC with 130 sciroccos wil even do!!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

After several encounters over the years, and being in the people protection business, I dont carry anything that wont flatten a grizzly. This starts at the 325 WSM, includes the 330 Dakota, 338WM, the 35 Whelen, and the 375
    Not saying an 06 or a 300 isnt enough, I just like the bigger bullets. If you miss with a 223, or a 375, you can die,,so whatever you decide, know how to shoot it

At 50 yards or less, yes. Jk, that's a good answer though.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Welllllll to be fair, there are no centerfire CALIBERS. And all centerfire CARTRIDGES are legal for elk.
    Oh. I didn’t know there was a rimfire in 7mm... or .300... or .338... or...

In case you didn’t notice, I was not taking a shot at you. Just pointing out that you had to shoot centerfire to be legal.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I don’t profess to be a great elk hunter but the 3 bulls I have killed were all called in to less than 100 yards. 2 were killed with a 300 H&H pushing 180 gr partitions, both in the seam behind the front shoulder. The 3rd was a 325 wsm driving a 200 gr Accubond, this one was high lung. All 3 accepted the lead pill and turned and walked away, all 3 took a follow up shot. This past winter by daughter shot her Smithers cow elk at 100 yards, spine shot, Hornady eldx. She did a follow up mercy shot. This hunt was open fields and perfect conditions. IMO elk are very tough and deserve a quick dispatch.

Gary is building me my close quarters elk gun, t3 action, IBI 22 inch mountain lite, wildcat ultralight stock, 338/06, topped with a Zeiss v6, 1-6x24 illuminated reticle, ballistic turret. I plan on developing a 225 gr Accubond load.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    I don’t profess to be a great elk hunter but the 3 bulls I have killed were all called in to less than 100 yards. 2 were killed with a 300 H&H pushing 180 gr partitions, both in the seam behind the front shoulder. The 3rd was a 325 wsm driving a 200 gr Accubond, this one was high lung. All 3 accepted the lead pill and turned and walked away, all 3 took a follow up shot. This past winter by daughter shot her Smithers cow elk at 100 yards, spine shot, Hornady eldx. She did a follow up mercy shot. This hunt was open fields and perfect conditions. IMO elk are very tough and deserve a quick dispatch.

Gary is building me my close quarters elk gun, t3 action, IBI 22 inch mountain lite, wildcat ultralight stock, 338/06, topped with a Zeiss v6, 1-6x24 illuminated reticle, ballistic turret. I plan on developing a 225 gr Accubond load.

Like Chuck says above IMHO Elk especially a Big Mature Bull Elk are tough and have a desire to live unlike others in the deer family, not to say you can't kill an Elk with 243/6.5CM/PRC/7mm-08 etc when all goes well with good bullets including perfect shot placement........

Ive killed 3 Elk with a 30-06 using 165gr Nosler Partitions and it worked fine, Ive also used a 300 Wby and with 180gr TSX it also killed them without a lot of chasing, all shots were inside of 200 Yards, I watched my nephew drop a young 6 pt Bull with 1 shot from a 300 WSM using 180gr TTSX at 400 yards, the bull never took a step.

I think 30-06/338-06/.308 & .338 cal magnums/35 Whelen all these cartridges are ideal, with that being said I wouldn't hesitate to hunt Elk with my 280AI using 160gr Accubonds or TTXS/GMX type bullet.

as most everyone says shot placement is key but I will add that is as or more important is a quality well constructed bullet not something thats going to disintegrate hitting a rib on the way in.

If you have the choice I would stick to 30/338 cal or larger, just my experience
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I'll be using a bow first but if I don't connect then 338-06. A little more than the venerable 30.06 but easy shooting and great BC with Barnes TTSX in 185gr. More than enough at anything under 400 yards. Disclaimer - I've never shot an animal beyond 250 yards but fully confident this set up will reach out way beyond what I'm comfortable with. Good luck.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    After several encounters over the years, and being in the people protection business, I dont carry anything that wont flatten a grizzly. This starts at the 325 WSM, includes the 330 Dakota, 338WM, the 35 Whelen, and the 375
    Not saying an 06 or a 300 isnt enough, I just like the bigger bullets. If you miss with a 223, or a 375, you can die,,so whatever you decide, know how to shoot it
    I hear ya, when I was guiding my go to saddle rifle was my 444 Lever Marlin, but I started packing a 300 Win Mag....but the Marlin is an awesome rifle up to 100 yards,after that you really have to lob them in there.. lol..