Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Re: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    BC .588, isn't that kinda like putting touring tires on a 4x4?
    It shoots Plenty Flat enought for " Ethical Distance " Kills and the Accubond bullet is HARD to Beat for Expansion and Penetration ! 200 gr NAB will carry 1800 FPS to 800 yards ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    BC .588, isn't that kinda like putting touring tires on a 4x4?
    It's more like .524 unless you work for Nosler's marketing dept. It won't matter, RJ won't get one anyway
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I dumped a bull with my 270 and a handloaded 129gr LRX bullet at 50 yds. Years ago, I dumped a cow DRT at 120 yds with a 260 Rem and handloaded 130gr TSX. I shot another bull that with a 140gr TSX 7mm that took 3 bullets complete pass through. He was stubborn wouldn't go down but in the end only went 20 yds. Shot placement counts. I am advocate of well constructed bullets as well for elk and other critters. Draw your own conclusions from that, though you can probably see the theme with Barnes bullets. But I am starting to load up a 300 Win Mag with either a 180gr or 200gr Accubonds (which ever shoots better) for my elk hunting purposes, knowing that I could end up in long range shot territory out to 500 yds. I have a Tikka T3x with a brake installed to lighten the recoil (a Mitch Kendall special cut down to the prefect length - highly recommended!!) and it makes a 200gr pill feel more like a 270, if that. It actually feels like a 140gr from a 65CM to be honest. With a Tikka, you definitely benefit from that due to its light weight. Anyway, I digress... Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 07-05-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    It's more like .524 unless you work for Nosler's marketing dept. It won't matter, RJ won't get one anyway
    won t Get WHAT RJ

an elk hahaha
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    It shoots Plenty Flat enought for " Ethical Distance " Kills and the Accubond bullet is HARD to Beat for Expansion and Penetration ! 200 gr NAB will carry 1800 FPS to 800 yards ! jmo RJ
    Its wind drift at range more than flat shooting that counts ...
    JMHO though

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    an elk hahaha
    WELL that could very WELL be true RJ

Montreal has better odds of winning the cup

Nice one haha

I’ve killed one elk and I shot it with a .270win 130grain Federal Blue Box. I shot him at 230 yards. I hit him twice, but he was dead on his feet after the first. The second one was because he gave me another shot. Having said that I got myself a .338win this past winter. Not because I thought I needed it, but because I wanted it.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon