Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Re: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

i've been running .308, but just picked up a 300 wizzum (whissam? WSM?) as my new elk + deer hunting rifle. i figured a bit more oomph would be worth it for longer shots, and a bit more comfort in grizzly country.

and yes, my 308 is more than capable for all that, but i had to get a new gun.

270 win mag 130 shot placement needed meat in the freezer good luck
    bigben

Are elk harder to bring down than moose ? I have never hunted elk so I wouldn’t know . I would thin if you can bring down a moose with you chosen cartridge it would take down a elk.
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 07-11-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I will pass what I was told. Sit down and have smoke.These guys were oldtimers from Chetwynd . If you don't spook a moose they will lay down and die. If they get going you better have a box of shells with you. Elk just bugger off. At least a couple of my hunting partner's have. Mine have died where they stood, but I'm sure my luck may change.

Elk are down within 20 yards for me on average.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Are elk harderto bring down than moose ? I have never hunted elk so I wouldn’t know . I would thin if you can bring down a moose with you chosen cartridge it would take down a elk.
    Arctic Lake
    I've shot a lot of moose and only half a dozen elk ... most of the elk have been with bow and arrow back in the late 80's.

They didn't seem any harder to kill than moose to me, my furthest kill on a elk was with a 300 gr Accubomb from a 338 LM @just over 500yds ...dropped in its track, broadside lung shot no exit hole.

Arrow Re: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Are elk harder to bring down than moose ? I have never hunted elk so I wouldn’t know . I would thin if you can bring down a moose with you chosen cartridge it would take down a elk.
    Arctic Lake
    Moose are pussies compared to elk. Much like Caribou in that regard in my opinion.
    As noted above, hit them damn near anywhere, and they will go but a short distance if not pushed, lay down and either die or stiffen up giving you the opportunity to get close enough for a finisher.

29 elk have been downed by my rifles. I prefer the 300 Weatherby for the task, but have taken quite a few with my 270.
    They have an incredible desire to live, and put distance between you and them as fast as possible.
    I have only seen a couple that gave up the ghost as a moose would, and they were indeed rather hard hit.

Seen many examples of the elk's tenacity over my span, and thus why I prefer the big belted magnum for them today.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Elk are way tougher, especially if you a bugling in a rank bull.
    Also they are way damn smarter than a moose.
    And stealthy at times if they want to check you out without letting you know.

I used a 270 on most of my elk, and it works. (140 to 150 gr bullets, from power points to nosler)
    BUT, a heavier bullet out of a bigger bore (and as noggin said, a belted round) is better.
    More "shock" power, and the bullet at further distances may still pass thru and thru.
    I have a ton of 270 power points where the bullet hung up on the inside hide, opposite the entry site.
    These were 325 yard shots (about 8 elk were taken at that range with that rifle and bullet, broadside to almost head on).
    The 300 win mag still went thru all the way.
    Thru and thru leaves a better blood trail when needed, and 2 or so needed to be found that way.

But, you have to feel comfortable with what you shoot.
    My 2 buddies got 300 win mag's after owning 30/06's, and they both became a lot worse at the range with their new toys.
    One went back to the 30/06.
    The other is working thru the flinch and getting better.
    A 270 will not make you flinch with practice.
    But i have seen a 300 win mag cause big problems for some after they use one.
    This all comes down to shot placement.
    You have a flinch, you will end up looking for more game most times, rather than walking right up to it.
    So, that always has to be your first factor.
    "what can you handle"??
    And there is no need to be macho in my books.
    Shoot what feels good and will do the job "ethically".

As said already lots of good cals for elk! Personally I like and shoot a 338 win mag

I'm right handed, so I have a right handed flinch. My first rifle was a Remington BDL 30-06.A light rifle with a poorly designed stock for recoil. It looks nice, though. With no instructor, for my first shot any time with a rifle, I went out to the garbage dump/rifle range and shot a box of 180gr in a t-shirt with no ear protection. Flinch city. I see the flinch show up when with a off hand 22, the target has holes in the lower right quadrant .