Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

Re: Best Elk Caliber,is there one?

I went elk hunting for the first time last year and took my first with a 300wm 180gr and it worked great the other guys in camp several used 308 and it did just fine as well 165gr. Placement is the key though the elk i had shot was approx 240-260yards from what i remember put it right behind the shoulder broadside and down it went

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    A sharp 3-blade G5 Montec broadhead on a straight shaft total weight weighing about 500-600 gr depending on your bow poundage.

Lethal.
    JT,

you're not wrong!!!!!!

I've seen big bulls hit with 6mm 100gr Partitions and 375 Ruger 270gr Interlocks give near identical death sprints with near identical shot placement. Use a good bullet and place it in the vitals and they die like anything. Poor shot placement with any cartridge can and will result in a long tracking job.

I myself like the 338-06. Four of the last five bulls I've shot have fallen to this cartridge. Average shot distance is around 80 yards
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

338-06 w/ 210gr. Partitions here ... that being said, my back-up is a .270 w/ 150gr. Accubonds. Both work extremely well ...
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Poor shot placement with any cartridge can and will result in a long tracking job.

This is true and why even though I could kill an elk with my .260 and 130 accubond WITH proper shot placement, there are lots of variables that can come into play. I use a 35 whelen with 225 gr. partitions for moose and elk and if placement is not perfect(it can happen) I feel the animal will be hurting more and travelling less with the bigger pill. A lot of guys aren't as good a shot as they think when brush, wind, visibility, excitement, shooting position etc.etc. come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    agree with quadra kid, whichever one you shoot best " that is legal for elk"
    To be fair, pretty much all the calibers are legal for elk…

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    To be fair, pretty much all the calibers are legal for elk…
    To be fair, pretty much all the CENTER FIRE calibers are legal.

I, like Ron C shoot 7-08. It’s not a particularly “macho” caliber, and often relegated to the “kids,wives and feeble”, but if you actually look at the ballistics, it’s a very solid choice for deer or antelope (98% of my mammal hunting), and with decent shot placement is very effective on elk. If I were more interested in hunting moose or elk, I would look at a more potent cartridge. I buy a moose and elk tag every year, but I have never done a hunt dedicated to either. If I stumble across a legal one of either at 150-200 yards or so, my feeble mans 7-08 should take care of it.

And while I agree that the .30-06 is a fantastic choice for a “one size fits all” caliber, it really is too big a hammer for smaller deer. We got two coastal black tails with .30-06 and excellent shot placement. They dropped like rocks, but there was substantial meat loss.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    To be fair, pretty much all the CENTER FIRE calibers are legal.

Welllllll to be fair, there are no centerfire CALIBERS. And all centerfire CARTRIDGES are legal for elk.

I have been called out for a couple of night tracking sorties. The flashlight on leaves looking for that blood droplet sort of thing. Both were unsuccessful . It has me believing in better shooting with a more old fashioned caliber/bullet approach .

The 7mm mag from 40 to 400 yards = dead elk .
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!